Where do you go after you got chord progession?

freeones

Ok I got my chord progression down. I always come up with chords tht sound nice together. But what do you guys do after you have it. I'm really new to this so i wanted to find out if there r different techniques to coming up with nice melodies and play it together in different ways to make it sounds nice and hot

it depends for me, on how creative i actually am at the moment lol....the chord progression is usually the easy part, tho sometimes it can challenge me.....but usually i'll lay down the progression....and since i know what scale i'm using, and what keys are in that scale, i'll jam around until i find a melody or bassline...depends which instrument i'm on at the moment....and just keep on building.. theres really not 1 set method, as it really does vary from track to track

google and youtube are your friends.....theres tons of websites and video tutorials out there that explain, and demonstrate exactly what you're asking..........And if you go into the Tutorial section on this website's messageboard, Bandcoach recently posted a thread about how to improve melodies...so you wana check that out too, cuz he knows his shit

Once I have my chord progression, i'll play around with it, building cadences and then melodies to lay over top of them. Sometimes, i'll just improvise the melody.

Try to build melodies from the chord progression. There are a trillion ways to do this but start by messing around with the notes in each chord. For example, when you play a C major chord, mess around with C, E and G. Tap them in different rhythms and cadences. When you play A minor, play around with A, C and E and so on.

Obviously you can play notes outside of the notes in each chord, but it's an easy way to start gathering ideas for a melody.

Good luck bro - I know as a beginner this shit is intimidating.

Most chord progressions already have the cadences in them, unless of course you're talking about words or drumlines rather than the harmonic language use of the word cadence.

chord progressions are a great place to start writing

melodies from.

bass lines from.

pads from.

the are some good tutes (so I'm told;)) round these parts on how to further develop your melodies, so just do some searching and see what comes up.

Chord progression is a good place to start.

You can then go to either rythm or melody here. A good rythm might inspire a good melody, or you might want to think up a tune straight off then add a rythm that suits.

How you do things can help here. The acoustic guitar is a common way to write a song as you can come up with rythm, harmony and melody all at once, and in the same time that the song is played. Working things out on a DAW is something I've never done though as it is too slow and I need to create the music quickly. Whatever works though...

after i have my chord progression, i usually try to variate at some way, syncing with the lyricis, its really personal.
for me, first the chord progression, then some melody, according to the felling of the music. :)

learn a few scales ;) minor, major..watch some tuts, or read about it. It might sound boring, but trust me on this... Once you know how one scale works, you'll be able to apply it in any situation. I.e. if your chord progression goes in the key of E, playing a minor scale in E will mix perfectly with it.. Then just mess around till you find a melody.

chord progression
>drumline
>>bassline
>>>melody
>>>>chillin to the beat
it's how I often do this

Back