Where can I learn Piano?

mguz11

I need to learn how to play the piano, and I can't afford lessons right now. What is the best way to learn some chord progressions? I can improvise from there.

I need to learn how to play the piano, and I can't afford lessons right now. What is the best way to learn some chord progressions? I can improvise from there.

First, you need to learn some theory. Knowing chords mean jack if you don't understand how to even build them in the first place. Hit up musictheory.net daily until you understand the material.
Next, go here and follow this guy's videos. Eventually you are going to have to man up and take formal piano lessons if you're serious about learning how to play.
Also, realize that playing the piano takes TIME and LOTS OF PRACTICE--often for little noticeable gain in the beginning. You ain't gonna be able to sound like you know what you're doing overnight, so if you have an aversion to sucking and hate daily practice---forget about learning the piano because it might just not be for you.

I agree with what these guys are saying but for me, the Theory matters a little more than playing technique, people have told me that guys like Pharell and Kanye West cant sit down and play a composition any better than a first year piano student, they just have an ear for music and theory in general. To me, understanding where you can take your chord progression next and programming it in is a lot different then playing a Mozart piece from sheet music.

Subscribe to Lypur on youtube. He is the best teacher for free on the net!

you can learn the basic chords and progressions from around the net.
i am playing piano for about 7 years, i joined an institute last year and started producing my own music.
Improvisation takes time and dedication, if your on to composing music rather than just playing a piano, you should take some theory classes and you can practice on your own.

Youtube... 4rill!!

its like a video game, just learn the basics and take it from there..

go on youtube and hit keywords like scales and chords just learn what they tell you, hit some related videos, pay attention and you will be on your way in a few days, but know that it takes months/years to be "Good".

forreal though, this dude was talkin shit bout me teaching myself with youtube, but the thing is, i sound better than him so his words hold no weight LOL see what im sayin

Hey

There are many places to learn (youtube, books), I think a good mixture of both (showing and reading) will get you where you need to be.

Also, I have a youtube channel (look in my sig for the link) where i go over Chord progressions for Hip Hop and R&b songs out now. Just to give you an idea of maybe something you can apply to your own playing/production. Come check it out when you get a chance.

I'd suggest Michael New on youtube. Dude does really good tutorials, covers scales, notes, chords, chord progressions ect.

From there you can learn some stuff through simple trial and error. What chords sound good together, or trying to build them.

I personally get lessons from a tutor aswell, and i can definitely say, if you can get them, do. Really helped me out just understand the whole backbone to making music.

Thank you for the replies everyone. Think ill just fork over the cash to get lessons. Sounds the best way, while still dinking around on my own.

Back