Where can I learn jazz theory?

Joromix

Hello everyone, I want my entire next album to be strongly jazz-oriented. So what are some good channels or places online to learn about jazz theory?

Scales, progressions, licks, typically melodies or anything at all involving that kinda groove, please direct me there!

Firstly you need to understand your pop theory inside and out- it will be easier for you to learn if you know most of the keys and their appropriate scales off by heart and be able to quickly find all the inversions of all the the roman numeral chords in any of the common keys...

Crash course which gets very advanced very quickly- you won't need more than the first 5 minutes but it does summarize all you need very quickly and you can follow up by searching the terms he uses:
YouTube

4.24 and maybe the example after are what you want if you can follow it up to there you'll have a great jazz chord sound.

Also try this one which is a bit more entry level @ The 5 Types of 7th Chords for Jazz Piano - YouTube

This doesn't cover melody but I don't know any good tutorials for jazz melody improvisation.

Last edited:
dude... start by listening to some jazz and understanding the history (reading "miles: the autobiography" mile davis' autobiography would be a good place to start - its a great read and you will learn a lot)

learning blues will provide a strong foundation to progress to learning jazz... people dedicate their lives to the study of jazz and sure, you can grab some chords from you tube but you won't get even a basic understanding unless you give it some time and study... and this will enable you to express in a credible way...

I would recommend:

tim richards exploring jazz piano (there is also a similar one for blues which is apparently a good pre cursor)

mark levine the jazz piano book is a heavy weight piece of work but not easy though.

sorry if I am telling you what you already know.

Last edited:
Transcribe transcribe and transcribe.
Get hip to ii-7 V7 I maj.7 or even iii vi ii V I.
Upper extensions- 9s, 11, 13s
ALWAYS ATTACK THE DOMINANT - use alt extensions (b9 #9 #11 b13) and alt scales for doms - phrygian dominant, octatonic, alt scale etc.
Listen to tons of jazz. Maybe start by focusing on mid 50s to mid 60s.
Miles, Bill Evans, Coltrane etc.

Back