Where to add drops etc

Wilby89

Im trying to make full length beats with drops etc but I was wondering is there rules to when to have drops in hip-hop song for example drop the drums out at the end of a certain bar etc or do you do it whereva it sounds good, been listning to alot of instrumentals and it seems like theres no pattern just do drop whereva its sounds nice.

What exactly do you mean by drops? What I assume you mean is when the appropriate times are that to remove certain instruments? Basically what you said last stands true, whatever sounds good. But I've noticed with hip-hop beats that during like a verse most instruments will "drop" out and the percussion and one instrument will remain to be the focus as well as the vocals. I hope that helps!

If your speaking of drops meaning like rise synth effects, snare rolls and Tom rolls etc. Usually A Rap Verse is 16 Bars, so you would want those type of drops at the half mark and the end mark of the verse, so at the 8th bar & the 16th bar of the verse. Those type Of Drops could also be used at the end of hooks also which are usually 8 bars

Last edited:
The track in my sig isn't finished but I just kind of stumbled across creating a drop after the intro. I've been told that it sounds pretty nice but the rest of it needs work. Hopefully it's along the lines of what you're looking to do.

Theres no certain rules, what helps me is to have a verse in my head from a song and kind of rap it along to the beat and then i can kind of hear where the beat is getting a little repetitive and where a drop would be nice.

Generally you're gonna do things in multiples of 4.

So you can drop on the end of bar 4, or maybe 8 or 16.

That's not to say you can't do it whenever, but more often than not it'll be like I said.

like 3ternal said

most intros are about 32 bars long (50-60 seconds)

so seperate that into 2-4 distinct sections and have each move closer toward the drop with risers, drum rolls, etc

and if you have vocals you can use your hook to add to the tension you are trying to create

Back