When to use chords or melodies

RuSty1

I've learnt how to write chords and use diatonic chords, I just don't understand when I should use a chord progression or melody. For example In the chorus of the song say I have a pluck sound from a synth, do I write a chord progression or melody? Obviously chords contain more notes so they sound bigger but you can always (in massive) just bump up the number of voices per not to make melodies sound bigger. Also what sounds should I use chords or melodies for? Is there any sounds I shouldn't write chords with and any sounds I shouldn't write melodies with? Thanks

The answer to these questions are likely to always be subjective and will change depending on each persons preference when they are making music. Theres not really a rule as to when one or the other should be employed.

You can use chord progressions along with melodies if you like. It would be good practice and you will likely surprise yourself. It will really rely on you in the end to make decisions as to when one ends and the other begins and when they blend. I would recommend seeking inspiration from classical music if you want to blend them together.

Alot of times making the sound "bigger" isn't the answer because then that larger sound will start cutting into the other instruments in the mix. Sometimes it is the way to go though, depending on the type of music you are making.

Sounds usually used to create melodies are piano, electronic piano, plucked strings, xylophone, vibraphone, guitar etc. When you are thinking melodic, you typically don't want a sound that fades in so sounds that have a quick attack are usually ideal. Of course, there are no rules when it comes to this, so do what sounds good.

Usually you don't want to be making chords with instruments that are monophonic (one note at a time) like a bass. There are people that excel at making bass chords though.

*Since you know how to write chords, look into learning Major/minor keys and their relative keys. It will serve you well when writing chords and melodies.

Last edited:
the goal is to keep it interesting

if you start intro with an aggressive chord rhythm there is nothing wrong with that on itself but when everything else comes may not be impressive, so i try to not start too aggressive or maybe reduce pressure just a little before everything else comes, so people go wow when everything else come

another thing is about giving the listener a brake
like you don't really want to listen to a 3 minutes long note of a sub bass, i love bass but 3 minutes long note is not cool so you have to try to keep things cool and interesting not to over do things

the reason i don't really like lots of ambient songs is because they may overdo something like the warm chords and that does not sound cool to me

but at the end what sounds good to me may not sound good to you so do whatever you like its just that its good to talk about things to also consider what other people like as well

chords are no must do thing
you can make songs without chords and still keep interesting harmony and all that

i would not say your song is bad just because you didn't use chords however chords can make song more interesting i always love it when i see someone used something like diminished, sus2,4, major7, minor7, chord inversions and all those can give interesting tension to the song and be interesting to listen to so i use chords all the time like pad chords, rhythm chords, fillers

so i use chords like almost all the time
but to not overdo something i may look for different sounds, sometimes more warm, sometimes more bright like strings, sometimes rhythm chords, so i try to keep bringing new things to keep it interesting, and not overdo but they are almost all the time in my harmony

Last edited:
What AudioPhorm & Laureat said :)

It's a matter of taste and style, really. A good rule of thumb though is to use chords in the chorus and monophonic lines in the verses. Think in terms of progression. It's not just important to sound BIG all the time, you want to build towards that. Here's more on how to do that.

For more on melody, check out this article here. :)

It's a matter of taste and style, really. A good rule of thumb though is to use chords in the chorus and monophonic lines in the verses. Think in terms of progression. It's not just important to sound BIG all the time, you want to build towards that. Here's more on how to do that.

For more on melody, check out this article here. :)

this an arrangement question not an easy one for me

I once tried an intro with strings section harmony that I really loved but than comes the beat with a monophonic bell melody and bass line . the problem with that was that it did not sound good everything looked so small because the intro was too big I spend hours trying to make that work I did not even know whats the problem I just was guessing that my sounds was not cool enough, I changed my bells to different sounds nothing was working until I removed the strings

so guess how weird is that you try to make your bells better you don't know the problem is not the bells, you may not guess that the problem is the intro and you end up not finishing a song which maybe could be a really cool one, and next times you come with less confidence and less desire to work because you come with the idea that you have failed, but you did not fail is just that there was something super-easy to do and fix the problem but you wasn't aware about it

this is a good reason why beginners should not try to learn things by themselves but should consider what other producers have to say its cool to have an experienced producer to consult about the problems that you face, it could be something super-easy to do but you just didn't know, and forums like these happen to be helpful at some level if you cant find someone who is willing to help you grow

That link to the book, 'The Addiction Formula'. Is it actually helpful and worth it? £25 is a lot for a book and I'd like to hear from someone other than a paid for reviewer

@Laureat: Well, there is a lot of stuff about arrangement in The Addiction Formula, but if you're looking for advice on Mixing or Sound Design, you should probably look elsewhere :)

@AudioPhorm: Glad you like it and thanks for the comment :)

@Tinseltopia: I get why you're saying that, but I can promise you that I don't buy my reviews. If I bought my reviews, I'd have a little more than just 4 on Amazon, don't you think? :) I get that 25 bucks is a lot, but there's also a kindle version available for 20 pounds. If you have any questions whatsoever about the book, don't hesitate to send me a PM.

Back