When Did You Start To Make Melodies To The Metronome?

koollord

Battle Champion!
I have been producing since 2010, but I didn't know how to make melodies until 2014. Then, in 2015 I realized I was developing a new skill: making melodies in sync with the metronome. I was wondering how long it took you to master the metronome?. Here I leave a video of my current level of metronome handles and improvisation level within the scale.

Learned how to make melodies in 2011, but with the mouse and not real instruments until 2015.
Learned basic music theory in 2013 myself. metronomes clutter the beat and throw me off so I never enable em.

Last edited:
Never been a big fan of the metronome and as far as I know I have always been able to come up with melodies so the tricky part was learning where to put my fingers on the instrument so I could play it by ear which probably took about 3 years or something like that......I mean we are talking about two different skills here, musical composition and virtuosity.

Depends what you count as a good melody. Anyone can hit notes sort of rhythmically and even if they only use 3 notes it still sounds as a melody, but some people would say you have to be able to change it to fit with different chords etc...

I came from an instrumental background but I didn't get a MIDI keyboard until 6 months ago, so I guess either instantly or like 10 years.

Don't overhink piano playing and stick to it for a year and you'll make tons of progress.
Took a year to get decent at improv. Spent that time learning the theory not playing instruments.

Being able to play to a metronome is essential for live gigging...that's where I learned it. But for beat making I guess it's only essential if you are playing it in and not drawing it.

Never but i tried when i first started doin beats it just throws me off all of the time i just set up a basic snare kick drum patten and work around that

Never did.. my internal metronome is pretty good
I played bass in a jazz/funk group for a while.. so I WAS the tempo there.

I want to get better at piano/keyboards though.. I can play to suit my needs right now, but I want to move into hardware synths at some point and it
would be damn shame if I can't do some of that two-handed magic then.

Working with the metronome was the first thing I learned. Took about a month I guess to really understand it. Afterwards, I stopped using it...

Back