What's your favorite key signature?

Epsilon-144

Musician and Producer
What's your favorite key to write music in? I've been using B major a lot recently, but F# minor has a cool sound to it. i have a project in F# minor as well. Im not if i'll finish it, but it sounds pretty good.

My songs are in a wide range of keys, but i also want to make a song that changes key from within the song.

I write a lot in B Major, C major, and F# major. I'll also modify an existing scale a little bit to make new sounding one, but the ones that exist are already enough to learn and practice.

What keys do you write in?

Last edited:
I like D Dorian - and G major. I don't really know why haha. But I just like how D sounds and G is the root of my vocal range

Last edited:
Isn't D Dorian the same as C major? That's cool though that you sing, I can't...well I've never tried. Props to ya.

Last edited:
D dorian has the same notes as C major but sounds much more similar to D minor- hence why we call it D dorian.

I'm lazy and write in C major quite a lot. Also C minor just because I know the chords best in C minor.

For bass music I use F-F#-G-G' or A minor because those root notes are a good compromise between being low enough to be really bassy but not so low they can't be heard

Last edited:
I get it, ...ah, that makes sense. That's cool. So there's technically a different tonic (first note), dominate notes, etc. ha, ...interesting

Last edited:
My favorite would have to be C sharp Major/ A sharp Minor. It's something about that key that just speaks to me lol. Also I dont know why but I've always wanted to write a song in B locrian haha

lol ... another scale like c major. :4theloveofgod:haha right on. I haven't tried all the sharps, but i'll give it a shot. I'm used to the piano so I think all sharps are the black keys, but E sharp is a white key so it's not that simple.. :P

D Dorian is also my favorite scale. It is the same as a D Minor, except with a raised 6th scale degree ("La" rather than "Le" in solfege)

All modes were originally without key signatures, due to the fact that, when they were created, there wasnt a tuning system that could account for accidentals(sharps and flats). To combat this, the finalis (tonic of a mode) was sometimes highly emphasized by grounding it in the Bass and creating a moving upper structure.

These modes can all be transposed which must then account for key signatures, but there is a different mode for each key that is emphasized as a finalis.

Back