What's this vocal or synth?

DarkMaGiicS

starts at 0:51 but can be heard clear at 1:30, Is it a whiste by any chance? if so, is there a preset or anything for them?

Last edited:
It's definitely flute. But heavily modulated, maybe with pitch wheel, or mod wheel, or both... this video helps a lot to understand those things, if you don't know much about it

If you know old Scott Storch tunes from 2004-05, he used that a lot to get that arabic sound.

You might also want to read about portamento. It's a technique where you slide from one note to another, without going "step-by-step". It has bigger range than pitch wheel on synthesizers, so you can glide for whatever range you want.

I would say it's a flute sample, pitched/sped up, the slow attack makes me think its been reversed. I think the weird vibrato sound just comes from the sample being sped up rather than pitch modulation. It could just as easily be a funky synth with heavy fx processing, pitch modulation and slow attack. Hard to tell, i don't think anybody could be 100% sure unless they are familiar with the exact sample/synth.

I would say it's a flute sample, pitched/sped up, the slow attack makes me think its been reversed. I think the weird vibrato sound just comes from the sample being sped up rather than pitch modulation. It could just as easily be a funky synth with heavy fx processing, pitch modulation and slow attack. Hard to tell, i don't think anybody could be 100% sure unless they are familiar with the exact sample/synth.

I agree with this. Sampletank had some cool ethnic type flutes if I remember correctly in one of the expansions that were pretty decent if you want to go the original route and not search for samples.

Good guesses here ^^^^. I would only add, look for a shakuhachi flute sample to play with. The sample in-question sounds like either an Indian (country of India, not Native American) or a Japanese (shakuhachi) flute, sped/pitched-up. That might be a good sample to look for...

GJ

That's really a flute? i thought it was a whistle, i'v tried searching for shakuhachi flute or sampletank and found nothing? like are they both free? as id love to beable to make this sort of sound, but i really thought it was a whistle sample..

Unlikely a whistle. Google shakuhachi. I'm betting it's that, pitched up an octave...

GJ

Back