whats this sound? used in lots of funk records..

King Zigg Zag

its like a funky guitar riff or something, thats my best guess but I may be way off. examples..

5:47

another example

:04-:07 and :10-:13 i would like to know how to replicate this for a project im working on..

Last edited:
The effect is a wah and there are two different types of pedal commonly used for this effect, one where you use a pedal to contol the filter manually called a wah pedal and one where the filter is controlled for you, this is called an auto wah or envelope follower.

Just as important to the sound is how the guitar strings are being muted as it's played into the wah pedal.

it's the

chicka-chicka-wah-wah

• muted strings,
  • lots of treble and
  • a wah-wah pedal going back and forth like crazy to produce that sound

- you really need a guitar player with the gear to get this one to sound right, IMNSHO

great 1st track, btw

I play guitar & the only way to get that sound is using a real guitar. You have to use a wah pedal, a little bit of a flanger, and most importantly, use the right technique. You need to palm mute the guitar and have a real feel for the groove/beat of the song and fill in accordingly. Let us know how the track turns out!

Interesting.... The flanger as a stand alone pedal did not come along until the late 70's, so would not have figured in the heyday of this effect (early 70's), more likely to have been a phaser as the chorus pedal was still to come (end of the 1970's as I recall)

Back