What's that sound that sounds like a balloon is slowly deflated

ronz.ombie

I'm talking about the sound that usually occurs at the beginning of the chorus which sounds like the release of air, like a balloon slowly deflated. And do we usually use sound samples for that or do we use some kind of plugin/effect to create that sound? Thanks.

Hello ronz.ombie can you provide an example track? Specify the time at which the effect starts. If i am not wrong you might be asking about sweping pads.

You can hear the sound at 2:13 at the beginning the chorus. It's at 2:17, 2:24 and other places as well. I think it sounds the clearest at 2:44 when the chorus kicks in again. I also think it sounds a bit like the prolonged part of an open hi-hat (the part the comes after it's hit)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm. It seems as though your time markers don't align (or don't all align) with the sound you're describing (which makes it hard to know what the sound is that you're describing, which makes it hard to help you identify it). There are some pad chords in there, a lot of reverb tail stuff hanging in those breaks (and adding texture overall), but at 2:14 there is a sort of "wind" sound that you could make a number of ways. Try gently blowing into a microphone. Or use the "noise" feature (white noise) on a synth. Add reverb (a fair amount). Pan the sound from left to right across the stereo field. That should do it. But it sounds like it might also be mixed with some backwards vocals or vocal reverb tail (sometimes mix engineers and producers do little tricks where they'll record background vocals, add lots of reverb, then only use the reverb returns and not the original take, in the mix). But for the "windy" thing, should be pretty simple.

GJ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IJlzrswbI4
You can hear the sound at 2:13 at the beginning the chorus. It's at 2:17, 2:24 and other places as well. I think it sounds the clearest at 2:44 when the chorus kicks in again. I also think it sounds a bit like the prolonged part of an open hi-hat (the part the comes after it's hit)

Its the white noise reverb tail, record white noise for about 1 bar with heavy reverb on and record the till the tail ends. Then slice off the first bar so that you will get only tail sample. Finally reverse the sample to get the sound like that. Hit the thanks button if I helped :)

yep, reversed shaped white noise (envelope/adsr with slow attack, fast decay, moderate sustain and slow release driving a VCA) with reverb is what it sounds like to me too, maybe even some filtering on it - I can't turn it up as it is 3:00 am here in wintry Australia

yep, reversed shaped white noise (envelope/adsr with slow attack, fast decay, moderate sustain and slow release driving a VCA) with reverb is what it sounds like to me too, maybe even some filtering on it - I can't turn it up as it is 3:00 am here in wintry Australia

Or it may even the reverse tail of heavy reverbed cymbal

Thanks, guys. I just searched that white noise thing you said and found out that apparently, it's called a downlifter.

Thanks, guys. I just searched that white noise thing you said and found out that apparently, it's called a downlifter.

Actually I think what I was looking for is called a white nose sweep. And I was able to find that out thanks to you guys' answers so thanks again!

Back