whats a good / cheap beginners MIDI controller?

A

Av

Im after a decent, inexpensive MIDI keyboard to hook upto my computer.

does anyone have anything they can recommend? something i can just hammer away on, what are the differences between the cheaper and more expensive keyboards? and what do i need to connect them to my computer?

thanks
-Av

The controller (or master keyboard) is one of the most important things you have to buy when you build a home studio.

The difference between the cheap and the expensive is that the expensive ones are heavy, more stable, and their keys are generally real hammer mechanism, or weighted (not as good as real hammer). Additionally, they have 81 keys (lots of octaves!) and sometimes they also have built-in piano sounds.

I'd recommend to buy one of those cheap ones because they work fine, and because you can carry them around easily. You will be able to control all your software synthesizers, record live in Cubase VST (or any other sequencer), plus other things.

Models i recommend:

. Roland PC200 MKII
. EVOLUTION MK149 (CHEAP one)
or equivalents.

Also.. one of these days you should buy a "real" MIDI interface for your computer. The joystick/midi adapter for your soundcard is OK for now, but you will experiment some delay and latency problens when you send too many controls to your computer. A good interface to buy is the MIDIMAN USB SPORT 2X2. It is external, USB, and super easy to setup.

hope all of this helps. Good luck man!

thanks mano, it helps a hell of alot... :)

looking for prices now.

seeya
-Av

I looked a bit in a catalog i got from a local store and I see a cheap controller that would fit perfectly for your needs:

. STUDIOLOGIC CMK-49

The official price is around $200 but a lot of stores sell it for $99.

It is a very simple kb with 49 keys, velocity sensitive, transmits on channel 1 (you only need 1 channel because you select the track to control in the sequencer). they make it in black and transparent blue.

Back