What's the EXACT difference between a HOOK and a CHORUS?

2FLY

That's my question. When arranging a song I have several parts: verses/catchy parts (Which I all call hooks... so what others call chorus is what I also call hook). I'm tryna get the 411 on this.. hit me off y'all.

2FLY said:
That's my question. When arranging a song I have several parts: verses/catchy parts (Which I all call hooks... so what others call chorus is what I also call hook). I'm tryna get the 411 on this.. hit me off y'all.

My definition of hook: the part that gets stuck in your head.

Usually it's the chorus, but if the verses have a common ending, that could be it, too. Could be the melody from the verses, too.

if you want a better example of what geedubbee said

listen to "In Da Club" by 50 Cent

to me the hook is: "go shorty its ya birthday, we gon party like its ya birthday..."

and of course the chorus is: "you could find me in the club, bottle full of bub...you know the rest"

An example of a hook is....

"Grindin"

Chorus-

grinding
ya know what i keep in the lining
niggas betta stay in line
when ya see a nigga like me shinin

HOOK- GRINDING(the part Pharell says in falsetto)
the part where he says grinding is the hook, he also says it over and over in the song at another point... its still the hook

yo renwar13, geedubbee said it best
"My definition of hook: the part that gets stuck in your head"
and when i hear that song In Da Club "go shorty" is what is stuck in my head.

the hook is NOT part of the song structure it is a song writting device that the artist uses to make the song easy to recall.

so,renwar13
"go shorty.." is the intro(song structure) and the hook(song writting device)

Last edited by a moderator:
Cerebral,
Renwar told you right; the "Go, shorty..." is part of the intro.
On "In Da Club," the chorus is the hook.
In fact, that's USUALLY (not always, but usually) the case in modern music.
The hook is not the part that gets stuck in an individual's head; it's the part intended to stick in the heads of the most of the listeners.
The hook is almost without exception a part of the song that is repeated several times during the course of a song. One of the primary purposes of the repetition is to drive that part into the listener's head.
All the talking Timbaland does in the background of most of the songs he produces might very well be the part that sticks out most to an individual listener. But that doesn't make it the hook.
Of the explanations given, geedubbee's was the most accurate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yo what up Smooth L...
i didnt wanna go and tell the dude hes wrong cus i could care less if he does or doesnt get it.... Its good to know theres people that do.... email me i wanna hear what kinda stuff you got man im an artist/producer from Ft. Liquordale, FL.

Ren,
Check your PM. I hit you back before checking this thread.
Anyway...
Do you have a Soundclick page?

Back