what's the difference between different keys?

hi..
i think that though a major scale will sound like a major scale in any key or a minor like a minor in any key,there will be differences in the feeling or mood that those notes in that particular key create....

the brain and our ears percieve and pick up sound differently at different frequencies...
certain frequencies affect the brain in certain ways..causing different moods...

Don't mean to beat a dead horse..... Just I find some of this silly.... It is like something off spinal tap :-)

It's silly cuz you don't understand it and you don't like being wrong. There's nothing wrong with learning man we all learn. FACE THE TRUTH...

HeH

the brain and our ears percieve and pick up sound differently at different frequencies...
certain frequencies affect the brain in certain ways..causing different moods...

Yeah this is another part of what I'm saying..... Not only will a string behave slightly differently when played at 7th fret compared to 5th fret, but also straight sine waves have a different effect...... Which is yet again another factor that overrules a tiny insignificant difference in temper.

FACE THE TRUTH...

You telling me you can tell the difference between an interval of 200cent at C3, and an interval of 199cent at E3? (not actual numbers but can't be far off) .... Hearing 200 vrs 199 if the root was C3 in both cases I can understand, it's a minute change, but might be enough for some ears..... but to hear the difference in the interval when it appears in another key.... That's stretching it.

-Ben

Ok lets clear up exactly what I mean....

Practically: All keys are the same. They are comprised of the same relative intervals and melodies written in one key will contain the same intervals when transposed. The main things when choosing keys in a practical sense are fingers, pitch, and intrument. Depending on the key and instrument, fingering of different styles of melody will be easier. Depending on the pitch of the key singing over it will be easier. Depending on the instrument there will be certain advantages to some keys, such as open strings on guitars. Also the pitch and instrument will mean different keys sound different (relatively on that instrument) just because of the length of the strings, the range of the instrument, and the position in that range of the key relative to another that's being used for comparison.

Technically: Ok yeah there is a tiny, tiny, tiny difference in Temper between the keys, this means in some notes are relatively closer, however this difference is very, very, small, and when combined with the much larger differences from instrument position and fingering the temper becomes insignificant. Which is why we can play the same tune in any key and it will sound the same (except for the practical differences above).

So for someone asking in a practical sense if there are differences between keys.... I'd say no. Play what's easy, what fits your instrument and what you know.

-Ben

Last edited:
Back