What are your favorite sounds?

V Dogg

Rapper/Producer/Engineer
Wowsers, been a while since I've posted here. But anyway, I've been wondering what kind of sounds you guys like to use during your production? Sorry if a thread like this has been posted before, BTW. Here's my list of my favorite sounds:

Sub Bass (Can make it melodic or just to make it be felt instead of heard)
Regular Bass (I am a freak at creating catchy bass lines)
Synth Bass (Especially the really gritty synth basses, but I love the west coast style ones as well)
Pianos (Bass and Treble pianos mainly, but Mid pianos are hard to make it sound good)
Strings (Pizzes, Attack, Tremolos, Violins, Violas, and Regular Strings - I'm no fan of cellos really)
Mute Guitars (R&B all day, hard to fit it in hip hop)
Bells (Have to use these creatively and sparingly)
EPs (Awesome for chords and for single notes for both R&B and Hip Hop)
Horns (Absolutely love these, but hard to make it sound good)
Sine Lead (Makes awesome chorus lines in both R&B and Hip Hop - I'm a freak at making this catchy too)

Some others I may use are:

Acoustic Guitars (R&B but REALLY hard to make it sound good and not cheesy)
Pads (For an erotic type feel)
Electric Guitars (the heavy metal type really - hard to make it sound good)
Ethnic Sounds (Koto, Shamisen, Sitar, Mandolin, Flute, among others)

So that's me, what about you?

Lately I've been enjoying taking everyday sounds rather than instruments and manipulating them with delay, reverb, audio direction, etc. Sitting them in the mix to where they're barely audible adds more than you would think.

Great question! I'm surprised more folks haven't jumped on this thread

Fender rhodes every time, very rarely do I do something with out a rhodes. One day I will buy a real one and learn to play it properly. It must be the most important instrument in urban and dance music. You dont even need to be able to play or have any musical knowledge to get nice sounds from a rhodes. It's such a warm, intimate sound that creates its own space...

A sound i love but dont know what its called is that percussion instrument that sounds like cog spinning. Can anyone tell me what that is? I want a sample badly...

I'm a G-Funk junky, so always using synth leads, digital bass, sampled wah guitar riffs, electric pianos, 808's occasionally.

Also bass, pianos, etc. but I consider those pretty standard instruments to use.

For drums I experiment a lot with those, usually throwing distortion on the snares and sometimes kicks.

I also mess with resonance filters a lot, and phasers, flanges etc on the electric pianos.

beet maker vst, strings, hornz, definitley the sub-bass, claps, 808 snare, chopped up samples spread out over the board, wut eva sounds good, as long as everything sits in the mix right

some sounds i tend to play on the keys alot would be trance saw pads, pianos, dx organ bass, sine leads and plucked saw leads.

I use a lot of piano and orchestral instruments in my music, even my electronic compositions have a smattering of orchestra here and there, even if it's just a single instrument playing for a few bars of a track.

I like nearly all instruments, but I love a Rhodes. Rhodes never made any song worse. I also like a lot of unusual combinations of instruments. I like the two highest octaves of an acoustic piano. I like aggressive sounding growling bassy Juno patches. I love music.

I love ORGANS... Hammonds, plastic organs, church organs, suitcases, you name it... I like those really wet 70's guitar sounds, and those drums with that nice vinyl oomph in the low-end. I hate kicks that sound too snappy or have no low-end. I like sharp-cutting synths like the shit that comes out the Virus. And I Love african choirs too, I don't know whatsup with that lol.
Unlike one of the posters above, I love cello, it's definitely one my favorite instruments. Violins are boring ;)
I could go on forever...
and as somebody already said above, everyday sounds tend to inspire me a lot these days.

rhodes for sure. also straight upfront piano with some reverb, sub bass, 808 bass, real finger picked basslines.

major/minor 7th chords on both acoustic guitars and pianos.

2 Saw waves, 1 triangle wave an octave under - Dirty Bass

2 sine waves an octave apart with the sustain DOWN - Phat Bleep

2 saw waves with lfo modulating the filter cutoff pretty fast - Bouncing 70s/80s Soul Synth

DIRTY FUKCIN' DRUMS!!!

Pulse-Width modulation using a triangle wave as the modulator, 1 saw wave an octave underneath - Thats that erotic pad you were talking about

ANYTHING OFF A VINYL, including pitching down pops, clicks for percussion

Piano Baby..

..SOOOOUUUL!!!

Back