What Is Your Best Advice to Amateur keyboard players

QUIKNESS

What Is the Best Advice You can give to someone Learning The Piano? Post The Best Tutorial Sites, Post the Best Online Bookstores you can find, giver the best advice or whatever you think might help. I personally think that it would be a good idea to do this. I have been reading books and do all I can to Learn.

I'm also learning how to play keyboard I got this book with a lot of easy songs in it who get slowly more difficult and there is some simple explanation in it about how to hold your hands and stuff like that. It works very well I'm learning really quick with it. But the book is dutch(since I'm dutch but I'm sure there must also be something like that in english).

I tried to learn it myself first with just trying to play the melodies I came up with but that didn't worked. So I advice you to just buy a book like I told you about or find a teacher but thats expensive.

Succes

Well..if you don't plan on actually reading notation, still learn a bare minimum amount so you can at least read a hannon book (finger exercises), learn some more finger dexterity exercises...the stronger your fingers are the better you will be able to play your ideas, this is 1/2 the battle..on piano you want to work towards being able to play with both hands simultaneously...great songwriting tool to be able to lay a bass line down with your left hand while playing chords/melody with the right hand or vice versa, find a basic piano/keyboard guide just to learn proper hand postion...I don't always use it exactly, but it can help...the other half of learning to play if you don't already have it down is music theory. I reccomend Edly's guide to music theory for the fundamentals...also http://www.outsideshore.com/primer/primer/ the jazz improvisation primer...you might be thinking that you don't care to learn jazz or how to improvise, but this guide breaks down the essentials to scales/chords/how they interact/song structure, etc. that are needed to even thinking of taking on playing jazz...and also if you can improvise a melody you are composing it on the spot...so that means that it will be that much easier to compose when you sit down, but you can take the lessons and not even apply them in a improv sense and just use them to compose in the first place....if you insist on more traditional lessons..i know www.pianonanny.com has lessons ..but I wouldn't spend tooooo much time learning how to read music if you won' actually ever use it and you are apt to get very bored and might stop playing altogther if all you do is play simple childrens songs, hope that helps

I'm learning with Emedia keyboard software. I like it because it gives you feedback(scores) on how well you play through a midi connection. Pretty nice stuff for around $50.00.

mrronsmusic.com has a dope dvd, its expensive but worth it.

Take real lessons if you benefit from learning in a student/ teacher setting.

Dude, I say start off with some music theory. And if you'd like accompany that with a basic book on how to play the piano. I would definitely suggest the Idiot's Guide to Music Theory by Micheal Miller. This book presents easy to understand tutorials, quizzes at the end of each chapter with respective answers at the back of the book. It also comes with an "ear training" CD. I think the CD is a good starting point for training to play by ear, but i'd rather take a class for that, so as soon as I get out of Nursing school I'm going to enroll in a class. I suggest you start off cheap by reading the music theory book and searching good for a good piano tutorial companion. Beware of the crappy Piano for Dummies! This just came to mind, if you don't wanna learn from a book per se, enroll in a piano playing 101 class at your local college (one that is cheap. If you live in NYC, then you're in luck: the CUNY system is soooo cheap!) or something. It would be a lot cheaper than having a private tutor. I know my advice may be a little scattered, but I'm sure it'll give you some options to toy with.

The Tone Ranger said:
I'm learning with Emedia keyboard software. I like it because it gives you feedback(scores) on how well you play through a midi connection. Pretty nice stuff for around $50.00.

I have that program too and it's working really well. My theory knowledge is at a point where I don't have to think about the basics. Sheet paper reading is getting better too.

I heard that the Hannon exercises, although annoying, work like gravy also. I want get that two for warm-ups, because finger dexterty is key for freaking a keyboard/piano.

Back