what is the standard Hip Hop song layout or form?

T

timngo31

I already ran a search but found nothing conclusive. What's the standard format for a hip hop song like in terms of how many bars to have a section, and how long is the chorus (hook) normally, and then the 2nd section? thanks for any comments.

8 /16 bars is "standard in the commercial hiphop world , but do whatever you want

make sure the bars in every section is a number divisible by 4, unless you don't want it to sound right.

What Tyree said.

Anything that works in 4's will work, but the most basic hip hop beat would consist of:

Intro (however many bars you want it to be)
Verse 1 (16 bars)
Hook/Refrain (8 bars)
Verse 2 (16 bars)
Hook/Refrain (8 bars)
Verse 3 (16 bars)
Hook/Refrain (8 bars)
Outro

It's probably best to start out in this format, just because that is the most standard form. But if you work change ups and such in multiples of 4, you're pretty much good to go. Just play with it, try breaks between the hooks, add/take instruments away, and have fun.

-PF

Last edited:
Also as you get more into commercial "Pop" rap you'll want to shorten the 3rd verse from 16 to 8 bars.

Caliko said:
Also as you get more into commercial "Pop" rap you'll want to shorten the 3rd verse from 16 to 8 bars.

or do away with the third verse all together. Most Rap songs these days are giving you a two verse max...

16 bars a verse ?

isn't that too short.a verse seems to be like 50 sec. or something like that.

im confused

besian said:
16 bars a verse ?

im confused

16 bars a verse IS the standard in hiphop.
listen to all your favorite cd's and count each verses and you'll see, 19 times outta 20, verses will be laid out in 16 bars.

unless theres alotta featuring and it switches every 8 bars.

It also depends on how good the hook is. Sometimes you'll hear 8 on the verse and 16 on the hook if it's really catchy.

besian said:
16 bars a verse ?

Depends on the tempo.

4 beats = 1 bar
80 bpm = 20 bars/min = appx. 16 bars in 50 sec.

besian said:
16 bars a verse ?

im confused
u shouldnt count bars to seconds because the tempo may not match that. 4 counts can be 2 seconds or 22 seconds depending on the tempo

Bezo said:
Depends on the tempo.

4 beats = 1 bar
80 bpm = 20 bars/min = appx. 16 bars in 50 sec.
thats not always the case tho what if ur in a different time signature or a strange tempo not usual for hip hop. ur forumla works for what u have put down but not all rap songs are gonna be 80 beats per minute. what r u gonna do if the song is 95 beats per minute or 190 or something like that (its not a techno tempo people its just fast) ur formula doesnt always add up

I dunno how u can't tell the "standard" by now... there's too many songs to not know it... but anyway, besian, don't confuse "bars" with "seconds"... I have no idea how you did that, but don't. But yea, 16 bars per verse is the standard.

However, if you pay attention, some particularly popular songs are moving away from the standard. T.I.'s "What you kno about that" only has 3 bars per verse, and "Bring em out" only has 3 bars per verse, along with only 1 bar for the hook. Lil Wayne's "Fireman" also only uses 1 bar for the hook.

Be careful though, some songs that move too far away from the standards tend to be harder to tell where the hook starts or ends.

The confusion is the beauty of music!! If you really want confusion check out Sean Paul's formulas there usually like:

Intro 4 bars
Verse 1 8 bars
Chorus 8 bars
Verse 2 8 bars
Chorus 8 bars
Verse 1 8 bars
Chorus 8 bars
Intro 4 bars
Outro

They just trip me out, but they work...HUH? Were talking about hip-hop?? Whoops im sorry.

but really study all kinds of music. I just do whatever feels right.

Back