What is this sound often associated with asian music?

it's not an instrument but a technique

the melody is played with a harmony in scale tone 4ths

e.g.

your melody is

C-D-E-D-C-A-G-A-C-

scale tone 4ths would be either

F-G-A-G-F-D-C-D-F played above it

or

G-A-B-A-G-E-D-E-G played below it

if you are interested in teh sound used in that spot it is a pair of end blown flutes similar to the Japanese shakuhachi or Peruvian quena

it's not an instrument but a technique

the melody is played with a harmony in scale tone 4ths

e.g.

your melody is

C-D-E-D-C-A-G-A-C-

scale tone 4ths would be either

F-G-A-G-F-D-C-D-F played above it

or

G-A-B-A-G-E-D-E-G played below it

if you are interested in teh sound used in that spot it is a pair of end blown flutes similar to the Japanese shakuhachi or Peruvian quena

Hmmm... OK. Thanks for the info. I thought the sound was the same as the one found in this other song but if not maybe you can identify that one... as well...

It plays chopped up at the very beginning and then a melody with it kicks in at :11. That one sounds like some sort of piano-like instrument but I could be way off.

Any idea?

Last edited by a moderator:
it's a synth that I could find on an mt32 in minute if I still had mine hooked up to my computers - i.e. something based in Roland's LA-Synthesis technology

one of their pads, I think chuff-lead and it is still using that technique of being tuned in 4ths

OK. Familiarizing myself with the mt32. I don't know why I didn't just post the exact song with the exact sounds I was thinking at first but here it is:

There are three sounds I'm interested in.

The first starts at very late :23. Pretty much :24. Sounds very similar to the others but more synthy. Looking to reproduce that exact sounds.

The second starts at late :46 pretty much :47. It is VERY similar but slightly different. I don't know if it's the removal of effects that achieves it or what.

The third starts at 1:56. Not the backing sound but the sound leading the melody.

With these I could actually tackle my project with decent results...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back