What is this sound?

BigNasty813

I've been involved in music (mostly playing acoustic instruments by ear) for decades but only recently started playing with DAWs. I'm learning more and more every day. Lately I've been on a serum tutorial binge.

There's a sound that is made quite often in deathstep (I only recently learned this sub genre even existed). I don't even know the right search term and I've been trying like hell to find it on my own.

Here's the example. The sound only plays between 3:39 and 3:40. It's way more subtle than the pattern leading up to it. I often hear it like a white noise and it always pans.

DAFT PUNK End of the line SUB TRAKTOR Remix (TRON Legacy) FREE DL by SUB TRAKTOR Official | Free Listening on SoundCloud

What am I looking for here? Is it simply the shape in an LFO?

It could be done a number of ways, but I'm guessing it is a gate with white noise (could be some other processed and mangled sound or sample though).

*Here is some of the theory: Gates and Triggers Explained - Synthesizers.com

*Here is a little practical use (very little, but still). It's all in Japanese, mostly instructions for patching, so unless you speak Japanese, skip ahead to almost the end: YouTube

*Lastly here's a demo on the Korg Monotribe. Much at the beginning is done with LFO, step-sequencing patterns, etc., but from 1:05 on he goes to town with a controlled gate on the white noise generator: YouTube

The preceding were all analog examples, but you can do the same thing in your DAW or digital synth plug-in; you've just got to figure out how it works in your individual program. Guarantee it will be much easier to set-up than 56 patch cords...

GJ

Thanks for that. Even being new, "gating" crosses my mind. I don't understand it too well of course but these help a little. There's a plugin called Gross Beat that has some gating presets I was playing with.

The last video with the Korg was really neat. A lot of that stuff in the beginning is exactly what I'm talking about. The example I gave was only one of many I've heard. The sound is more "rounded" if I'm even evaluating it correctly. Most often it is only white noise.

Back