what sound is this?

NinoBrown

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFRuUJR4LPI

its on Ciara's Like a Boy song. It kicks in at the beginning at 00:13. I know what this sound is, icant remember and when someone says it ill probably slap myself for making this thread. But I've heard it in alot of her songs and finally learned what category that sound was under....and now i forgot

AzNTonio said:
A Supersaw Lead?

now...a few questions:

1.) is this only found on synthesizers?

2.) is there a VST with this effect?

3.) is it in FL stock sounds because Ive looked like mad and couldnt find it lol.

4.) what category do saws/leads fall under? i mean like pads, strings etc.

1-Usually you find this on synthesizers (including VST's) though you might find some supersaw samples but they usually don't sound as good as if they were synthesized because on synths you have all the different kinds of envelopes that modify the waveform and the sound is more.. uhh.. "pure", plus you can tweak the synth to your liking.

2-There certainly is more than one VST for this kind of sound. I don't know that many but for example there is z3ta+ which is a very powerful synth with 6 oscillators (a supersaw is many saw waveforms layered so this does the job perfectly)

3-I don't have FL but I don't know there's gotta be some saw sounds since it's a really basic sound, I don't know about supersaws though.

4-This sound usually falls under Synth Leads or Poly Synths I guess... but you know like the one on Ciara's joint sounds kind of smooth for a lead you could probably say it's a Saw Pad. Just check in all the synth sections you should find something.

Tonio

AzNTonio said:
1-Usually you find this on synthesizers (including VST's) though you might find some supersaw samples but they usually don't sound as good as if they were synthesized because on synths you have all the different kinds of envelopes that modify the waveform and the sound is more.. uhh.. "pure", plus you can tweak the synth to your liking.

2-There certainly is more than one VST for this kind of sound. I don't know that many but for example there is z3ta+ which is a very powerful synth with 6 oscillators (a supersaw is many saw waveforms layered so this does the job perfectly)

3-I don't have FL but I don't know there's gotta be some saw sounds since it's a really basic sound, I don't know about supersaws though.

4-This sound usually falls under Synth Leads or Poly Synths I guess... but you know like the one on Ciara's joint sounds kind of smooth for a lead you could probably say it's a Saw Pad. Just check in all the synth sections you should find something.

Tonio

thanks man for all ur help! that cleared the air by alot....if i could give +rep on this board i'd def have it goin ur way. thanks again G

3xosc not my pick but you can try setting the 3 OSC to saw.
Then where you see the letters SD (Stereo detune)
detune each one.Let one be as is(Default).The other detune by 12 cents
and other by -12 cents.
When you adjust the knob look in the upper left near the toolbar.
You will see the setting changing there.(what number it is)
Detuning the saw's will give you a fatter sound.This can be
done on most synth plugins.

Last edited by a moderator:
breal said:
3xosc not my pick but you can try setting the 3 OSC to saw.
Then where you see the letters SD (Stereo detune)
detune each one.Let one be as is(Default).The other detune by 12 cents
and other by -12 cents.
When you adjust the knob look in the upper left near the toolbar.
You will see the setting changing there.(what number it is)
Detuning the saw's will give you a fatter sound.This can be
done on most synth plugins.

ok i undertand pretty much everything there except set 3x osc to saw. do i have to click on one of the shapes to get that set to saw? and if so which one?

platinumtouch said:
Since your all about Teddy Riley, get yourself a Yamaha DX100 (or DX21) or a virtual DX100 (or DX21).... saws for days. Many used by the man himself. Hope that helps. :D

actually i got to try one out for the first time the other day and rememberd him using that, i saw a pic of him using that in the studio....yeah man i def want that in my arsenal now .

Set each one to saw and then detune as I said before.
You can detune by other amounts too.Just make sure the number
is the same and one is + and one is -
Like this ( 7 and -7)
Leave the third saw with no detuning.(default)

NinoBrown said:
actually i got to try one out for the first time the other day and rememberd him using that, i saw a pic of him using that in the studio....yeah man i def want that in my arsenal now .

yeah I would pick one up if you get the chance. They are way overpriced right now but I would still say it's useful if you are into Teddy although I know alot of his later stuff he's been using Alesis Ions and Microns to do alot of that DX100 stuff. If you do get a DX treat it like gold.... they are complete pieces of crap and the slightest wrong move will render it a paperweight. I have two right now to prove that and I treat them like newborn puppies. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
breal said:
Set each one to saw and then detune as I said before.
You can detune by other amounts too.Just make sure the number
is the same and one is + and one is -
Like this ( 7 and -7)
Leave the third saw with no detuning.(default)

Ok...which shape is the saw shape? i feel so dumb for askin this.

platinumtouch said:
yeah I would pick one up if you get the chance. They are way overpriced right now but I would still say it's useful if you are into Teddy although I know alot of his later stuff he's been using Alesis Ions and Microns to do alot of that DX100 stuff. If you do get a DX treat it like gold.... they are complete pieces of crap and the slightest wrong move will render it a paperweight. I have two right now to prove that and I treat them like newborn puppies. :rolleyes:

wow...i had no idea, thast good to know to take care of that piece of equipment more specifically. Thats crazy!

I can not remember but it look like a N or backward N.
Saw tooth. The one that looks like a upside V is a triangle.
[FONT=Arial CE,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]I like the Alpha 3 Free plugin better then the one in FL.[/SIZE][/FONT]

alright so i tried it out and all I get is an organ sound lol.....ill keep tweakin it around but i can feel im almost theere

ok i feel stupid n the post above, i just had forgotten to put it as Saw sound lol....thanks 4 da help fellaz

Back