What scales do you prefer?

SwizzyG

Hello my name is Swizzy and I like to produce beats as a hobby for now. I was wondering what scales or chords you guys use on a regular basis to make a nice hip hop melody. I kind of looking for a "Gangsta rap made me do it" Type chord progression simply because I love Ice Cube and his hip hop style. Im not so sure if im comparing my self to much so let me know thanks!:hello:

I like C major (coz its ez) and F major (good for male vocals most o the tyme). Most scales wit h 5 or less accidentels are more then doable though, long as its not to hi.

PEAS!

I don't produce hip-hop, but I like natural minor for most melodic stuff, harmonic minor for most dark stuff and gypsy (or hungarian) minor for über dark stuff.

For a playful vibe I would probably use Dorian. This goes perfectly with the classic funk progression (rappers delight, chameleon etc) Im - IV (i.e. C minor - F major)

Btw, you can use more than one scale in a song. Just for the heads up, something you might want to investigate

I don't produce hip-hop, but I like natural minor for most melodic stuff, harmonic minor for most dark stuff and gypsy (or hungarian) minor for über dark stuff.

I make hiphop and also share an affinity for the minor scales. I agree with what was said here.
Try using scales that you aren't comfortable with. This is the best way to learn or you get stuck in the same dull bs wondering why all your beats sound essentially the same.

Dorian, Pentatonic, Minor & variations, Blues, Japanese Pentatonic. Gypsy if I want something "out" that fits in a lot of contexts. Whole Tone if it's a Homer Simpson dream sequence (although Wayne Shorter is awesome too!^^^^)...

GJ

i like G double sharp.:alcoholic:
Me, too, brotherrrrr!
66349974.jpg

I've tried staying confined to a scale before, but I find I like it more free form. If what I create fits within a scale, cool, if it doesnt fit within a scale but it still works, then thats great too. Don't like boundaries but I do think it can narrow your focus down sometimes. I'm reluctant to strictly use it, though I do recognize its use. Not a bad thing by any means.

Back