What scales do Jazze Pha use?

krazyk

Money Over All
I really like his beats. Just wanna know wat scales he uses.. and i also like this song called Im Straight by T.I off the KING cd...wanna know wat notes or scale is in that?

Lol...^ But i'd guess from most of his beats he uses the natural minor and minor penatonic scales. Same for i'm straight. Melodys sound like they're using the minor penatonic scale.

Last edited:
One mo time

SoulBoy said:
Lol...^ But i'd guess from most of his beats he uses the natural minor and minor penatonic scales. Same for i'm straight. Melodys sound like they're using the minor penatonic scale.

Whats that in english player?

but me is asian! hahaha. for all you that don't know what pentatonics are, they're basically blues scales.

mplsSOUL said:
but me is asian! hahaha. for all you that don't know what pentatonics are, they're basically blues scales.
modified blues scales, and ive never heard a pentatonic sound asian lol. The scale that sounds asian is the slendro scale, it is penatonic though lol

MacVegas said:
Whats that in english player?
Everybody else pretty much covered it. But the way i would describe it is a modified major or minor scale. Its basically the regular scale minus two notes. For example..in the A minor scale the penatonic scale is A, C, D, E, G. Take out the 2nd and 6th (notes) from the scale and you got the penatonic. And the funny thing is those two notes (B and F in this case) are the 1st and flattened 5th of the B diminished chord. Which makes sense since they say that you can pretty much play anything in a penatonic scale without it sounding bad.

Last edited:
Pent=5. So, the pentatonic is nothing more than a 5 note scale derived from the diatonic major scale.

As to it's relationship to the blues scale, they are not the same. The pentatonic does not have the most significant "blue note" that defines the major blues scale. That would be the flatted 5th that is often bent between it's corresponding sharp tones So, they are not as similar as many people would make them out to be. Also, there are 6 notes in a blues scale. Though the major blues scale is very similar to the minor pentatonic, it is formulated in relation to the major scale. The blues scale is very close to the minor pentatonic in that it contains all of the same notes, with the addition of the note between the 3rd and 4th interval of the minor pentatonic (the blue note). It is that flatted 5th that is often bent upward to resolution that seperates these two scales. The pentatonic just does not do that. Also, the pentatonic has a major and a minor variation. The blues scale can also have a minor version that deviates completely from the pentatonic.

Also, while extremely similar to the pentatonic, it falls into the family of hexatonic scales. So, while it contains 5 similar notes out of 6 with the pentatonic scale. It is still classified as being more related to the whole-tone scale than the pentatonic (6 notes per octave). But, that is due to it's scale family (hexatonic). Oh well, gotta love theory.

Last edited:
Back