What Scale is this song played in?

Some minor scale for sure. While i don't know much about scales, personally i'd just go ahead and download the track, throw it in your sequencer and recreate some of the melodies. That way you still won't know the exact name of the key, but at least you'll know what notes you can play in it/for it/whatever :).

in the key of G minor

first few chords are Gm7-Cm7-D7#9b5-D7b9 bass is moving kind of funky underneath as G-C-Bb-F# or G-C-Bb-A.

Gm7 ~ G-Bb-D-F
Cm7 ~ C-Eb-G-Bb
D7#9b5 ~ D-F#-Ab-C-E# - note however that only the notes D-Ab-C-E# are used in the guitar voicing
D7b9 ~ D-F#-A-C-Eb

note E# = F, however the 9th above D is E so it must be E# to fit the spelling of the chord

the last two chords give this its characteristic dark sound

response

Very detailed sir thanks!

in the key of G minor

first few chords are Gm7-Cm7-D7#9b5-D7b9 bass is moving kind of funky underneath as G-C-Bb-F# or G-C-Bb-A.

Gm7 ~ G-Bb-D-F
Cm7 ~ C-Eb-G-Bb
D7#9b5 ~ D-F#-Ab-C-E# - note however that only the notes D-Ab-C-E# are used in the guitar voicing
D7b9 ~ D-F#-A-C-Eb

note E# = F, however the 9th above D is E so it must be E# to fit the spelling of the chord

the last two chords give this its characteristic dark sound

yes indeed - the last two chords are found at the end of the bridge phrase in pink floyds Breathe from Dark Side of the Moon, the other two are just obvious i-iv movement in teh same key

however, what I didn't point out is that the scale is a hybrid synthetic scale as these four chords do not exist in the same key:

G-Ab-A-Bb-C-D-Eb-F-F#-G - 10 note scale but not all of these are always in use

yes indeed - the last two chords are found at the end of the bridge phrase in pink floyds Breathe from Dark Side of the Moon, the other two are just obvious i-iv movement in teh same key

however, what I didn't point out is that the scale is a hybrid synthetic scale as these four chords do not exist in the same key:

G-Ab-A-Bb-C-D-Eb-F-F#-G - 10 note scale but not all of these are always in use

are some of these chords being inverted? it doesnt sound similar when I play it.

I did suggest that the bass line was slightly different to the chord prog itself - it uses notes from each chord but not necessarily the root of the chord

it is also possible that not all notes appear in each chord especially the last two where you may only be using D-Ab-C-F and D-F#-C-Eb

Back