What is this saw thing??

AIFN

Hello everybody!

I have been wanting to make melodic dubstep forever, and I finally found a saw I'd love to drop. The only problem is, I have no idea what it is. I am pretty sure it's a supersaw, but as I said, I don't know how to make this :(

If anyone know any tutorials or ideas on how to make it (I assume it's made in Massive) , I would be grateful :D

it is around 0:54 on this:

Thanks and bye :D

Last edited by a moderator:
If you mean that lead instrument that keeps playing two notes over and over, it isn't a saw. It's based on a square or triangle wave, or a combination thereof, IMO.

I believe it's a standard saw chord with a bunch of noise on it blended in, with a 4-voiced unison saw patch with slight detune (very gentle), to give some kind of softness. Then you have a lot of EQ'ing to make it dull and bassy to sit right in the track.

add to steffeh's answer that there is also some amplitude modulation going on (the volume is being pumped up and down either by an lfo or just by an automation clip - no compression here)

add to steffeh's answer that there is also some amplitude modulation going on (the volume is being pumped up and down either by an lfo or just by an automation clip - no compression here)

That's the sidechained compression. You have a larger pump whenever the kick hits, and a smaller pump when the snare hits. The saw sound is also brought down when the bass sounds play (again sidechained compression).

Back