What is the purpose of music theory and how do you use it?

Well I guess by playing music. Like if you're reading music you could understand what a flat and sharp is and how ledgers work..

And when producing you might have a certain melody or something in your head that you'd like to use. If you didn't have any music theory knowledge, it might be harder for you to get the notes right.

But if you do know it a little, it'll be easier. You'll know what note to play and such..

I don't know..that is the only way I can explain how to apply it lol

Also..if you listen to music alot you'll learn to hear the note. You'll know the note just by listening. That helps with producin too, cause if you're stuck with something you'll be able to continue the beat, you know?

Last edited:
the main reason for music theory is simply to record your music before tape recorders.
it is a language so one musician can then tell another how to play his/her song without having to be there.

to apply what you have learnt i find comes in when you get stuck on a song and with improvising being able to know what key your in and what will be in tune with it.
if some one gives you a chord chart then you will know what notes you can and can not hit to stay in tune.
to apply in song writing is being able to predict where things can move and where they will song bad, and also to write counter parts with other instruments.

the only real difference with someone that knows music theory and someone that dosnt is that is that the latter will take longer to get somewhere and not be able to understand what he/she is doing musically, the only understand i like it or i dont like it so change it to i like it.

neither way is good nor bad.

Last edited:
Music theory allows you to take something from your head and instantly know how to play it or write it down.

You can see and hear how and why something works before even touching an instrument.

It's an intimate relationship with intervals in music. Allowing you to bridge the gap between mind and finger.

-Ben

Put it this way, compare yourself to a car mechanic. OK, so on the one hand you've got mechanic 1 that turns screw X because it gives the desired effect of Y. Then you have mechanic 2 that picks a random screw in the hope that it'll do something or other to the engine.
Ok, story over. Back in your studio now, when you look at your synth, do you know what the filter cutoff does? Do you understand how the LFO creates movement in the sound? Do you know, before turning a certain knob what it'll do the sound? If not, you are mechanic 2 my friend.
Consider now that this example regards synthesis only. The same example could be used to describe Sound Theory, Composing, Arranging, Harmonization and so on and so forth. I know many people disagree with me, but in my world you are like a blind man trying to complete a 25000 piece jigsaw puzzle without a theoretical grounding. No doubt someone will jump up and say "nah, cause so-and-so make fantastic stuff and knows f*ck all about theory". In many instances true, but then they have other people that does the advanced stuff for them. Most of us on here do not have that luxury, I'm afraid.

Back