What Program Do YOU Layer Drums In???

bxdiplomat said:
can't you layer them in the fpc

Each pad can contain multi-layer samples so that various layers respond to a specific velocity range. This can be useful for creating realistic acoustic drum kits. Use the Layer Properties view to create and edit the layers of the currently selected pad.

If you read the manual you would have known that.

personally, the nnxt or any other sampler should let you layer pretty easily...get in there, use the amplitude and filter envelopes and really just go to town. after that, just bounce that sample down and load it into whatever you want. Its important to remember that layering artfully is about more than just stacking samples...its about combining and modifying parts to make a whole that resembles what you're after

-Lodger

Lodger said:
personally, the nnxt or any other sampler should let you layer pretty easily...get in there, use the amplitude and filter envelopes and really just go to town. after that, just bounce that sample down and load it into whatever you want. Its important to remember that layering artfully is about more than just stacking samples...its about combining and modifying parts to make a whole that resembles what you're after

-Lodger

^^^ what he said.... but audacity or cool edit or Audition...what ever works for you... depends what your trying to do. if your trying to fix/layer a sample so you can have that specific drum hit when you want... it would work fine, layer it, modify, save as a wav or mp3, your good to go.

Everything aint for everybody. use what works for you.

Last edited:
InfamousKlassactt said:
LOL why would you do that when you can just use 1 mixer and add many kicks on the same redrum but different channels and link them together so when you hit one it hits the others.... =/

WHY DO THAT when you can just put all the kicks you want in the NNXT and assign different outs? PLUS you'd have more control that way, you would only have one unit to edit on and loose the processor hit from the combinator.

i use battery, but for u, u should just try out layering in FL if u didn't already, and try out audacity too. just do you.

why don't u like battery's layout?

layer with the fruity kick...make a few fruity kick channels and tweek them differently...when you get it how you want it save it as a wav so you can just load it up as 1

Do you guys use FL and Reason for drums only or the whole beat? How do you rate Reason three in making complete beats?

Jersey8five6 said:
i use battery, but for u, u should just try out layering in FL if u didn't already, and try out audacity too. just do you.

why don't u like battery's layout?

is battery 3 good like are the sounds good???I might cop it today...

Edit doesnt matter i have good drums already and i dont want to put 16 gigs of drum on my comp..

Last edited:
ntukza said:
Do you guys use FL and Reason for drums only or the whole beat? How do you rate Reason three in making complete beats?

I have reason & fl & mpc1000...sometimes i use each program by it self, sometimes i might take vst sounds from fl and fuk wit it in reason...otha times i might load up a a few loops i made in reason or fl into the mpc...i used to rewire but my laptop is to slow...i just do me...meaning, whaeva i feel like doing, i do it...sometimes i run my keyboard thru the mpc too

Delphine said:
Reason for me. I created a template called ( surprisingly ) drum layering.

I have the 10 redrum channels routed to a mixer via an EQ. It's all I need really. I then just call up my sounds and layer away, tweaking the EQ if I stumble upon some nice stuff. I usually have Wavelab open too, so I can record the samples straight into there live.

1) Do you separate the Redrum channels so that each channel has its own corresponding channel in the mixer or do you connect the Redrum directly to the mixer?

2) Do you connect the EQ to the Redrum so that all Redrum channels pass the EQ together at the same time or do you pass each Redrum channel through its own EQ?

3) What exactly is layering?

4) Why do you record your drums to Wavelab rather than just playing them normally in Reason, and do you rewire Reason and Wavelab in order to record or you just record as is?

how I layer most of the time is in fruity loops (that's all I use it for anyways) you can just fly the sound in and make it hit every so often and just tweak it from there.... once I have the sound I want I sample it from the computer to My MPC 2000 bang layered just like i want it.. then I change up some of the effects on that same sound maybe take something out or put something in and sample it again in the MPC. Once I'm done doing all my samples into the MPC I mix and layer those sound into one and there you go layered sound and drums

kontakt 2 is maybe the easiest to layer drums with I dont know how to use fl so I cant say for that but in my opinion is kontakt 2. all you have to do is drag them in change all midi channel to the same levels eq and wild-la

sorry for the I forgot about kontakt when i first post

Last edited:
Well, maybe a couple!

First, how do you go about assigning the outputs to further manipulate samples or groups of samples? The manual only touches on this. Can I assign only a kick or clap or a stacked group of kicks to then route into a Scream or whatever?

Second, I was comparing the sound quality of the NN-XT and seems to take a little edge off the sample compared to the ReDrum, and I'm sure there is a way to take care of this issue. In the Redrum I can increase the tone of a kick to give it more bite and character and I can't figure out how to do this in the NN-XT? I was thinking maybe the input gain, but I haven't tryed it yet...

Thanks for any help you can give

yeah use the individual assignable outs on the nn-xt.. like on mpcs

and the tone effect on redrum is just a lo pass filter

Back