What Music Theory Books Do YOU Recommend?

Bare-E Raws

I have been hearing a lot about this whole "music theory" concept and I think it would be beneficial to read into it. So what kind of music theory books are out there and which ones would you recommend to people? How much does music theory really help you in improving your production? And what is music theory anyway???

Last edited:
Go to the college and take a Music 101 Theory class. You get to ask questions and get further explanations on things like scales, time signatures (which is what sampling is all about...essentially), intervals, accidentals, circle of fifths etc....Invest in yourself. Read as many books as possible as well, you tube, and start playin with the keyboard. Good luck

I learned from every eBook I could find, a How to Play the Piano book, & multiple multiple video courses & videos on YouTube. Can't forget BandCoach, for what I could comprehend. I basically went over the same shit until it stuck with me. If you learn it, & don't APPLY it, it's no good. So like dude said stay on them keys. I didn't read the whole book For Dummies, but I took parts from it.

A book and the internet can only get you so far, you need some one-on-one guidance with an instructor to really grasp the deeper concepts of tonal harmony and chromaticism. The problem with alot of the theory books on the market is they're not generally written for someone with no prior knowledge or experience with these concepts. They're often meant as supplemental resources for students or those looking to brush up on concepts they've forgotten or are unsure about. Sites like Musictheory.net are great for getting the fundamentals down, but when you start getting into counterpoint, voice-leading, SATB part-writing, tonicization and chromaticism, ear-training/sightsinging, and analysis, you really need the personal guidance of an instructor. Even though I taught myself the basics of music theory, I realized that I needed some more structure and guidance so I enrolled in the Music program at my college and got my shit together. Not saying i'm an expert, but i'm in my second year as a music major and I could not imagine having to try to teach myself some of the stuff i've learned thus far. I'm sure Bandcoach would agree, there are certain aspects of theory that a book or website can't clearly convey the way a real instructor could.

---------- Post added at 01:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:53 AM ----------

Learning music theory (in addition to learning the guitar, classical piano, and sightsinging/ear-training) has given me a clear way to approach and express the ideas I have in my head. I still have lots to learn, but even in my second year as a music major, its given me so much perspective on what it is i'm hearing. In other words, its helped me to make sense of the music I hear and allows me (with a small bit of trial and error) to replicate or even expand on those musical ideas. Most people will claim that it will hold you back, but that's if you're attitude and approach is all wrong. More knowledge will open the doors to more experiences, which will broaden your music instincts further and make you a much more diverse musician. As a musician, you should be learning to use your ears first of all, theory is just helping you to understand what it is you're hearing and why it sounds good/bad to your ears. Its not a bunch of rigid rules and dogma that you have to adhere to, but a roadmap, really. I've gained so many new compositional tools to better express myself with in the two years i've been studying.

Last edited:
There's videos on YouTube, footage of teachers teachin shortcuts & how to play by ear. The information is out there, online, there's no doubt about that. You just gotta know what you're lookin for, and/or possibly 'sway' it your way with the Law of Attraction. Here's one lady I been checkin out lately.. Chaîne de richardjpugh - YouTube ..You don't NEED an instructor, it all depends on the person. Alota ya'll are just lazy Af & don't take the time to learn & APPLY. & if you're offended by that, then obviously you know who I'm talkin to.. You. Lol

---------- Post added at 04:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:05 AM ----------

I've gained so many new compositional tools to better express myself with in the two years i've been studying.

That's what's up! I started learnin about all this shit maybe around the middle-end of last summer. There's always more to learn..

Kebeats makes a good point, you have to be using this stuff to make sense. What's written on a whiteboard in a classroom or on a sheet of paper or on a website means nothing if you're not actively hearing and playing. For example, when we learned NCT's, even with all the explanations and notes I took in class, it wasn't until I sat down at a piano and played through the examples that finally understood the effects of a pedal point or a suspension in a progression. Even with part-writing, knowing the rules of good voice-leading means NOTHING if you can't hear why, for example, you (generally) shouldn't have huge leaps larger than a 3rd in your Soprano, Alto, or Tenor range. Whomever it is that has to sing that part with the leap in it will HATE YOU for making them do so. Smooth voice-leading just sounds better to the ears, but if you're not actively hearing it and playing it, you won't understand.

Thats alright then cause I'll be takin a course for this kinda stuff soon.

---------- Post added at 04:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:44 PM ----------

I don't suppose there are any books on actually putting together songs is there? Like arranging the loops and what guidelines you should go buy when creating a track. Thanks for the replies I've been reading music theory for dummies and got the idiots guide too. Some of the stuff in the book seems totally useless to me unless i start playing in an orchestra though but I'll read it anyway get what i can outta it.

Thats alright then cause I'll be takin a course for this kinda stuff soon.

---------- Post added at 04:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:44 PM ----------

I don't suppose there are any books on actually putting together songs is there? Like arranging the loops and what guidelines you should go buy when creating a track. Thanks for the replies I've been reading music theory for dummies and got the idiots guide too. Some of the stuff in the book seems totally useless to me unless i start playing in an orchestra though but I'll read it anyway get what i can outta it.

Without a doubt, a college course is probably the best way to go. Saying that, this is the 21st century, & there are other avenues. There are many websites, with many people willing to share their knowledge. You just have to know the right questions to ask.

Music Theory is nothing more than learning a vocabulary so you can discuss music with other people. Music itself is a language & for the most part, many a musician communicate with each other with their chosen instrument alone. You can demonstrate a polyrhytmic idea with your instrument, however if you want to explain in words what you mean, you'll need to know how to say it. That's what music theory is.

Thousands of musicians demonstrate an understanding of harmony, melody, modes, etc.... without ever knowing the terminology, they just play. However, if you wish to be a producer you will have to explain your ideas one way or another to the musicians you work with. Again, I'm sure there are producers who don't know theory, as well as there are musicians who wouldn't know what the words mean....

But, you're still a step ahead if you know it yourself.

The link in my signature has a lot of theory information. Any questions you have, feel free to email me as well.

For my site, click on music theory, and start with the oldest posts. It goes in a logical progression from the building blocks of intervals, to how chords are made, and on to scales.

For other books on the subject, I like the Levine Jazz Theory Book and Harmonic Experience. If you don't know much theory, those are pretty advanced though.

For a beginner lypurs channel on youtube is good , book wise i found Tonal Harmony by Stefan Kostka & Dorothy Payne good but maybe hard going at times

How Music Works with Howard Goodman

Not a book, but a great BBC series where he breaks down the fundamental concepts in music. You can find them on YT or on torrent.

For a beginner lypurs channel on youtube is good , book wise i found Tonal Harmony by Stefan Kostka & Dorothy Payne good but maybe hard going at times

Tonal Harmony is really good, but if you get it, keep in mind it is purely a classical mindset for theory. It does not include any jazz or more modern theory at all.

Tonal Harmony is really good, but if you get it, keep in mind it is purely a classical mindset for theory. It does not include any jazz or more modern theory at all.
I DO NOT recommend that book if you are self-teaching. We use that textbook in my college Theory class and its really meant to be used in conjunction with an instructor, the workbook, PRACTICE, and the audio cd's (which you have to buy separate). Using a book like that on your own will drive you crazy.

Back