What motivates you when you have producers block?

milesg2g

The Wavvy Ness Sage
I typically smoke or something lol, but I'm curious to know what others do if they can't get the juices flowing to compose something.

Haha see most of my friends are so distracting to the noises i produce in my head during the smoke session. So by the time I get back to my dorm, I'm like "wtf was that melody again?" lolol

Yeahhh breaks do help a ton. When I break I play a game called League of Legends and then get back into my music lol xD

Yeah breaks are good. Smoking is an "To each his own" so I am not gonna comment. One technique I use is just start messing with the drums, then when you hear something good, take a bass guitar out, mess with it, rinse repeat until inspiration hits. Another way is to build on your craft. There is a difference between craft and inspiration I believe, and I think that when you have your craft you generate more when inspiration runs out; on the contrary, it isn't reversable. So with that said, try to construct some songs even if you are not inspired. It may suck, you may crindge by making it, but you will have created SOMETHING, and that is breaking out of the block

hahaha :) puffin' is defs a big help, and i suppose that is pretty much taking a break, lol.

but yeah, i focus on getting more 'in the moment', literally. i find myself getting blocked when im thinking about it too much, instead of just letting shit happen. hence why the bud makes quite a difference = RELAXATION.

I have to put the music all the way down. The problem is that I stay away too long, then have to relearn how to use pro-tools every time. I do gain new knowledge with each break thou... I spend alot of time listening to styles and trying to understand the dynamics of stuff. I've also been working harder on the music theory and really trying to branch out into other styles of music.

I think as Producers, we can put too much pressure on ourselves to deliver good stuff. That's why I smoke sometimes, just to relieve the pressure and remind myself this is me. Music is supposed to be an expression of yourself, so I really make sure I'm calm and comfortable before putting out some stuff. Well I do now at least lolol

Honestly, listening to certain artists can make me want to produce something they could jump on haha.

yea the movie idea an xbox are great ideas; try watching a soap opera epsode--think about it. soap operas have been here for years captivating people, and as you know, music is wha ally contributes to the emotion and the depicting the feeling of whats going on in the scene. If youlistn to he music at certain points, you willget an idea of what type of sounds creat what types of feelings. That should help you as well.

I take a break and play some xbox or hang out with family. maybe watch some tv or catch a movie listen to new music ect

I usually take a 1-2 hour break every few hours and throw on the PS3 or summat. That's not generally because I have a block or I'm being lazy, it gives my ears a rest which IMO, is the most important aspect of the music making process.

Without my ears, I'd be ****ed. No point damaging them by putting them under constant strain without adequate breaks in-between.

im bad with my breaks, it takes months to get that feel back, most of the time i get motivated by my peers. hearing good music on this forum helps too.

listen to music. and dont sit down and wait for "magic to happen" when you produce, separate organizing and knowing where your sounds are from the creative process.
have a clear vision of what you want to do before you start working as well. a guitar player cant play a riff unless he knows what he is going to play before he plays it

Check out other producers on the net, till you hear something new and fresh, motivates you to do better, thats one way to get out of producer block

Back