What motivates you when you have producers block?

Weed helps, but sometimes I just wait and something will just come to me...it's weird. There are like random times when I just feel like making something that's been in my head for a while.

Weed helps, but sometimes I just wait and something will just come to me...it's weird. There are like random times when I just feel like making something that's been in my head for a while.

Yeah that's the same with me. I just try to feel it naturally sometimes and it doesn't always work, but sometimes something can just come to me in the middle of class! haha

Would love to try the 'medicinal herb' method of curing beatblock that that wouldn't rock in my house seeing as I still live with the folks. Lol.
Usually I just take breaks; Watch a movie or some episodes of a good show or I workout/play sports. Maybe its the adrenaline but that helps me atleast. Weird but effective I guess? Lol

I don't smoke. Making beats is optional in my daily routine, so I'm always pretty fresh (most of the time). Usually if I can't do it, I'll go looking for samples or something. Find something better to work with.

Listen to some new music, smoke some Canadian Kush and good to go!!!

This morning I woke up to the Game' new album, Jesus Piece beats where fire and that hypes me up.

I think its really important to be a able to step away and let yourself be consumed by something else entirely. Kinda resetting your mind. Regain some mental energy and then try again at a later time.

I've actually set up a schedule so I produce 3 times a week. Mon-Wed. It seems like it could limit natural creativity, but it actually pushes me to sit down and think of music. It's proven to be effective, the only negative thing I've noticed is I can run out of juice towards the end of production. I hate starting projects and not finishing them!!!

Yo, some good advices over here. Gotta admit Im having a bad time right now in general, not only music. Seems like nothing is making me happy or excited. I hope it's only temporary, cause now it's a big down for me. I have some thoughts on why it's happening but Im not sure tho. Every time Im having a bad time Im afraid my love for music making is becoming weaker! But it can't be the thing since I started just year ago, and recently I was lucky to earn money and buy good quality gear. Hopefully it's not this and it will go away, because I put so much to learn everything from the beggining and I remember what motivated me to get into it. But now it's a weird time, I have no motivation for anything.. Dunno why.

Yo, some good advices over here. Gotta admit Im having a bad time right now in general, not only music. Seems like nothing is making me happy or excited. I hope it's only temporary, cause now it's a big down for me. I have some thoughts on why it's happening but Im not sure tho. Every time Im having a bad time Im afraid my love for music making is becoming weaker! But it can't be the thing since I started just year ago, and recently I was lucky to earn money and buy good quality gear. Hopefully it's not this and it will go away, because I put so much to learn everything from the beggining and I remember what motivated me to get into it. But now it's a weird time, I have no motivation for anything.. Dunno why.

Honestly dude, this is what makes a music producer man! This right here, this feeling you just described. When you first start out it's fun initially. Until pressure of trying to make music at will comes in. You feel like "maybe this isn't for me" I've had that feeling several times, but I know through other experiences in other things that this is what makes you. This doubt right here is what makes a music producer. Sitting through this knowing you're lacking the skill, the motivation, and the drive to make music is like a snowball effect. It just keeps tumbling into doubt and it sucks. But if you stick it through and just let the music come to you, you can really become amazing. Take it from me, my first beat was trash and I was using Ableton Live 8 intro. I make Hip Hop music and I was in love with Ableton, yet there weren't many Hip Hop tutorials online for the type of Hip Hop I wanted to produce (Trap beats, etc.) Then throw in the fact I had a MPD which I thought was as easy to use as a MPC. Boy was I wrong. I wound up not using my MPD32 until this week, and it's been 2 years since I've started. Not a single beat before then was on my MPD.

You've just gotta be able to take what you've learned, and apply it. And when I mean apply it, I don't mean in 30 mins after you learned it. Learn something take an entire day off to let it sync in before you open your DAW man. And let the music come to you.

If I can't make anything I think is good, but I still wanna mess around with making beats, I just think of it as a learning experience to use for when I'm actually feeling it. Use the opportunity to learn a few new things about your DAW, sampler, new synth, new effects, technique, whatever. you could also try to organize your samples or something like that too (but that's not so fun). As long as your doing something to learn you're probably on the right direction. You can't make good shit everytime you get in front of it, but as long as you figure something else out in the meantime, it'll help when you know you have something good going and you can keep the creative spark flowing.

If I ever had producers block (which I don't get at the moment), there's not a chance it'll last longer than 24hrs, because as soon as that alarm clock goes off at 6:30AM to go to work, the motivation juices are in full flow (a la I hate going to my day job and use this feeling as motivation...)

I have a quote in my room that goes like this, "If you don't believe you can do something, pretend you are someone who can... and then do it." This reminds me that I can produce ANYTHING I want, I just gotta keep working :)

I like to watch movies, or travel. Inspiration comes from lots of things for me.

---------- Post added at 12:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:31 PM ----------

i just sit back, smoke a cigarette and then new ideas are coming to my mind^^

It's not a "special" kind of cigarette is it?

This is all true.

I remember I told myself, I couldn't smoke and make music because I'm still learning my DAW and the properties of music. But recently, when I smoke I can see shit in the music I otherwise wouldn't hear or pick up. It's so weird and actually annoying because I wish I was sensitive to it on a regular basis.

1. Listen to some music that I'm into at the moment.
2. Go for a walk with my handheld recorder and then try to use the sounds from the walk on a track or start a track based on them.
3. Get even more stoned than I am.
4. Start a track with a singular intention, such as "I'm going to use this specific sound over this specific groove" or "I'm going to make a track using only 10 tracks or only 3 instruments" etc.
5. Eat something/ have a beer.

I either smoke, longboard, walk my dog, take a nap, play xbox, or make something completely random that isnt even a style of music just playing with sounds xD

The best thing to do is take a break, that's what I do.. I don't smoke, so I must find other ways to get through the writers block.. I just eat a sandwich, play some ps3 or something and then sit back down and something comes to me.

Back