What motivates you?

fux0r

Last night I was searching my kick drums and found one that created a beat itself. Just the sound of the kick popped this idea in my head and it evolved on its own. When I'm done I'll post it.

What motivates and inspires you and your beats?

Well my weapon of choice is sampling . . .

So anytime I here something that I know can be flipped and made into a crazy beat sets me off lol. And also hearing other people beats inspires me especially when I here a really hot sampled beat I just start feeling it and then get into my grind (period where I'll be on for hours or even whole days lol) and won't stop till I knock out something great.

Music in general inspires me . . .

I'm not a beat maker in the Hip-Hop / RnB sence of the word, but I find the best motivation of all is taking a break.

Sometimes you just work too hard at it, and you really need a break, a holiday away from the studio.

I used to be in the Scouts, so the outdoors is my thing, I go camping in the Summer a lot, and just takes me away from the burden of the four walls and a bunch of studio gear that I have to operate while drinking tons of coffee. I would recommend camping to anyone, just in the woods, with a campfire, a tent and some mates.It gets u in touch with ur human side, with nothing but time to gather subconsious inspiration and when u come back, the studio awaits the miracles to be created ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
^^^
I feel you there . . .

Sometimes it's just like, I don't wanna touch anything for 1 or 2 days. But your a composes right James ? SO I can see why you wouldwant to get away for awhile because your work may demand much more than mine.

Breaks are always good cause once that breaks lasted to long you start fiending to get back in the studio and bang out tracks . . .

a simple sound can originate an entire song for sure.

Ambient sounds can be a good source of inspiration too. A walk on the downtown, for example. Tons of sound bits to bring motivation...

right now im not motivated to create a beat i dont have any new ideas and im not enjoying producing at the moment. so now since i have no motivation or creativity im just giving it a break.

My creativity and my secret weapon is searching. i search for the right notes. im a melody man, my tool is my computer my headphones and fl studio plus a sh!tload of sounds so once i find the perfect melody i look several more to back that one up.

so now that ive lost my creativity i will just chill listen to peoples beats and wait to be inspired coz when u hit ispiration, motivation is not far away. i wont be able to live without touching my studio for more than a week.

lol what dosen't motivate me is not having a MIDI Keyboard...ever since I watched DUb J's tutorials I knew I couldn't put it off any longer so the next day I whent to the store and got them 2 special order one in...I t should be here soon Im getting impatient lol..I have even tried to produce anything cause it sux really bad to mouse it,draw it,matrix..etc
so Iv'e been organizing my drums which took 8-10 hours lol at least now i won't come across a a single hit I don't like I hand picked each and every one!!!!!!!!!

What inspires me...?

Mood.

Other people's music.

The indicator relentlessly clicking in my car when i'm in stationary traffic. That combined with the repetetive drone of the engine ticking over has inspired a number of my tracks.

A tape recorder rewinding inspired me once (that clickety click train on rails kind of sound!).

Conversations.

Sitting and staring into space (or my monitor screen) for hours...

hearing a hot beat,then i'm like..."man,i'm bout to make my own banger"...or if i haven't made any in a few days or sumtin

James McFadyen said:
Sometimes you just work too hard at it, and you really need a break, a holiday away from the studio.
Definitely! I'm away from home right now, not near my own PC, and I'm bursting with ideas and inspiration. I'm goin home in a couple of days and I can't wait to get working on some music.

Seeing a documentary or something similar with someone putting in work in the studio, especially if they came from nothing. The best example right now is David Banner, I have some studio footage of him. Four yrs ago, dude was homeless living in his van..Now that's motivation.

smokin a blunt sometimes does it. really. i'll be stuck and fire that blunt up and **** comes pourin out. it's sad but true. and i ain't the only one damn it. ya fess up.

In no particular order:

1) Staying away from the keyboards for a while

2) Hearing a great groove and thinking "I could do something like that" and then trying to actually do it.

3) Sometimes a particular sound can be inspiring.

4) A special moment in time. I was sitting home one night after my son's birthday and wrote a piece for him.

5) Learning something new musically. I might read an article on chord progressions, time signatures or harmony etc and when I sit down to try it out, it might turn into something.

Last edited:
- the possibility that one of these days while I'm still studying, upgrading my arsenal, trying to find the unique hardware, do things the "right" way, that I will be able to find my own unique sound for myself that I can use for many tracks and still stay original.
-Listening to the beats of producers who aren't afraid to hone there style (mannie fresh, the nepts., scott storch, kanye west, even lil' jon).
-Hearing crisp and smooth melodies, whether the "instrument" in use is a spacey synth or an old-school like piano.
-Seeing others bob their heads to ur beat
-$$$

Speakin of watching people bob their heads to your beat. I was watchin a friend of mine while I was playing "Are You Serious" for him. He'd stop at points of the song, usually where the lyrics were jumbled and there was a lot to take in... And at other parts where transitions weren't as smooth as they could've been. That's definitely a good way to notice where your strong and weak points are.

-Donovan

I have to say listening to songs or tracks inspires me.. just listening to a hiphop track like a Mobb Deep track for example and sittin' back and sayin' "damn.. the lyrics are good, but the beat really brought this one out".. and then just sittin' at the PC and bangin' out one of my own. Any song can inspire me in one way or another, just by thinking to yourself how you may have went with it if you were the one making it, or just lettin' it flow.. and then of course, when I make a new soundfont to use, I have to just see what creativity I can come up with by that instrument alone.. then I'll work around it and make a new beat. Gotta say the mood plays a part though, cuz if I'm havin' a sh**ty day emotionally, or if things is stressin', then I won't be motivated to make music til thingz are right.

Genycis
www.genycis.com
www.soundclick.com/genycis

oALTAIRAo said:
Speakin of watching people bob their heads to your beat. I was watchin a friend of mine while I was playing "Are You Serious" for him. He'd stop at points of the song, usually where the lyrics were jumbled and there was a lot to take in... And at other parts where transitions weren't as smooth as they could've been. That's definitely a good way to notice where your strong and weak points are.

-Donovan

yeah it is. A beat usually ain't good if you can't bob to it.

hearing somebody else's sampled work. I get crazy inspired when I hear cats like mos def spitting. I remember sometime ago i was watching the chapelle show and they had mos def on it and he was freestyling or something and I was like oh ****, that sounds too hardcore, I gotta make a beat.

This migh sound kinda odd as far as motivation goes...but i sometimes play music from a distance and in between me and the speakers place somekind of distortion like a fan or something. Doing this allows me to hear sounds that could inspire me for a new beat.

Last edited:
Back