What makes you make beats?

I just like some music and I don't like some other music. So, I had to learn what makes those two types of music different.
I soon realized there are more than two types so I had to learn more and more :D
Plus I was always interested on those behind the scenes people, who actually make music, films, cool cars and so on.

For me it doesent matter if u make 1 or 5 beats a week. As long as u devote 90% of your sparetime with your DAW and listen to music 90% of the time you are at work.

That´s where my insperation comes from.

I by no means am a professional, but only create tracks as a hobby in my spare time. I may take several weeks to finish a song or only a day or two. Sometimes the songs will take longer because I know there is something i still dont like about them but may leave it as is and start on another track and put my juices elsewhere. But I will always go back and touch it up as i get new inspirations. I feel when I go back to songs that i dont quite feel are done later after giving myself some time away from it i can come up with some great fresh ideas on the fly that just seem to fit. Other times I am able to just write off a track in a night and just tweak it over the next couple days. I love all my tracks and although I dont have many I am very proud of each one.

It depends. Sometimes I'm just bored and I got nothing better to do. Sometimes I hear a song that's begging to be sampled and I have to do it. Sometimes I'm just in that beat making mood where it's like Damn I need to make some beats. Lately I haven't even opened Reason in over a month.

For me, usually inspiration from music, things I'm going through, sounds, watching videos of big DJs tearing it up at festivals, and a big one is just motivation because I want to give it my all if not it won't work out and will get stuck working somewhere I won't be happy

Right now for me it's more about the challenge of making something sound a certain way, and all the things that go into that.

It's just like writers block. You have to find new inspiration. Try a different genre. Most important of all, invest in new sounds. If you are broke like I am you have to dig deep. You could even try re-mixing an old project.

I also usually look at a tutorial and then try to make a beat, but usually I sit down and work on a beat when I'm angry about something. Once and a while an idea will come naturally out of the blue though.

Back