What Makes a Style?

D

dwpeters

OK, hopefully I am not opening up too big a can-o-worms here, but I figured it is my first post, so what the hell...

How would you define the various styles of Hip-Hop (East Coast, West Coast, Crunk, Dirty South, Reggaeton, etc)?

I know the 'text-book' definitions from Wikipedia, but I am looking more into what distinguishing features in the music itself makes it "East Coast" as compared to "Crunk".

I have just started on this journey after being recently turned on to the style by a mate at work and am really interested in how complex it all can be.

Thank you in advance and I do apologize for the obvious newbie question.

It's about the regions of the US. East Coast..Atlantic side, West..Pacific, Crunk and Dirty south...back woods country folk sippin on shine and purple, Raggaeton..hispanic. Getting into the anthropologic side of it, blues jazz and high watt sound systems started it all. Its whatever makes ya head bob is the simplest explaination.

the color of the sound, instruments used, mixing style, melodic style, common progressions, ...

i don't know sh!t about it, and don't really care for it at all, but i do know that reggaeton has it's origins in Puerto Rico and here in Miami.

most of it has to do with how u create the song and the sounds used. For example Westcoast uses alot of live instrumentation and replayed samples while the Eastcoast usually just samples off the record. Of course there are exceptions on both sides but thats just one big difference between 2 styles.

pccjamie said:
i don't know sh!t about it, and don't really care for it at all, but i do know that reggaeton has it's origins in Puerto Rico and here in Miami.

Where this guy came from? Reggaeton started in venezuela with "El General". I'm not even into that music and I know this. Search the net and you'll see that everyone including Daddy Yankee and Tego Calderon agree's that it started there.

Back