What kind of kicks do you use for your music?

busystarter

The 808 kit is my go-to but there are just so many kicks out there especially with the vast catalog of sub genres under Electronic music, all having specific techniques used for the genre.

What's your go-to kick? Do you side chain often? What kind of effects are you using on your kicks and what kind of patterns are you using (breakbeat, techno beat, realistic, programmed)?

Last edited:
To my ear the 808 is boring and played out. I don't even pay attention to the name of the drum I'm using. I scroll through the drum samples i have, find one or two kicks that i see potential in then layer, filter, etc, mess with them until they fit the mood and sound good to me.

The effects and techniques i use depend on the track. I don't think you can stick to one formula if you want to make interesting beats.

To my ear the 808 is boring and played out. I don't even pay attention to the name of the drum I'm using. I scroll through the drum samples i have, find one or two kicks that i see potential in then layer, filter, etc, mess with them until they fit the mood and sound good to me.

The effects and techniques i use depend on the track. I don't think you can stick to one formula if you want to make interesting beats.

Yea the 808s are played out to me too but they're the staple of classic electronica. And that's also true that you have to mix it up a bit. I was just reading that there are "universals" of music which is what led to me to start this topic. I just want to see which sounds, effects/VSTs people are using and for what purpose.

I use custom drums.... eg. they don't come from sample packs, but rather drum synths and the like. I love the old 808, 909 sound... if that's played out than a guitar and singing is played out as fuck, rapping too.
But I also like feeding them into granular sample manglers and other effects, layering them with recorded drums, foley sounds, synths, then feeding that back into more samplers and bitcrushers... basically anything
that gives me a sound like I didn't just open a pack of pre-made samples... which are mostly variations of the same sounds I can generate myself.

They're custom because I usually start with some basic untreated 909 or 808 style drums as I'm starting the track, but then reshape them radically, and add a lot more layers of drums as I progress. By the
end the drums are tailored to the track and the track is tailored to the drums. Learning to 'design' my own drums from the ground up like that has been the best skill I've learned as producer.. because sitting there, trying out 100's of drum samples to find a match (which is never perfect) is boring, especially considering the drum tracks I make.. I'd need a lot of damn drum samples. And then the next day I'd need 50 more. It's just not doable, I'd spend more than half my time going through dreary drum packs, collecting individual drums.. pff... I get frustrated and bored just thinking about it.

Most of all it never sounded as good as I wanted... bottom up and inside out is always a better way to work than top down. And a lot more fun. I rarely have to stop my tracks playing for anything now... or change my plans because I can't find the fucking sample.

Depends on the genre that I'm making. I find that if I'm going for a clean sound, then I would choose an 808 kick.

If you want something more agressive, then you could try a 909. I would go for both at the same time because I like to play with multiple kicks in my tracks. Sort of make a groove out of two or three types of kicks.

Back