What kind of flute/sound is this!?

Hey, I've been inactive on here for quite a while. I've been searching for a certain sound for almost a YEAR now and nobody has a clearcut answer. Its sound varies a little bit but im sure its just in tweaking. the sound is in the beginning of chris brown's - yo and also in the dream's - sweat it out for example. What sound is this!?

The one in the beginning:

The one at 0:04 on. Its just in a lower octave.

Some random dude sampled this song and has it pitched higher at the :30 second mark if itll help.

PLEASE can someone help me find this sound?

They are pan-pipes as a short one shot samples with a variable sustain loop.

The treatment you hear in each of these is simply the pitch-bend wheel being moved - listen to it all again and you will understand what I mean.

i have on pan flute but it sounds like the exact kind that timbaland and tim & bob use. its VERY asian/ethnic sounding. is there a specific type of pan-pipe/flute i should look for? the one i have is called enigma if you're familiar. i know a well established producer told me that its probably a sine wave, but i DEFINITELY dont hear that.

If you have asian sounding pipes then they are not pan pipes. Pan pipes (named after the God Pan) tend to be south-eastern European (Greek/Roman) and South American (particularly Chile and the Peru). A pan pipe is an end blown flute, which the shakuhachi and it's relatives are also. A set of pan pipes are tuned to a scale. You might try and find some recordings of Georges Zamfir playing the pan pipes as a starting point for the sound you want. Then seek out the South American pipes which are more closely aligned to the sound you want (I have some recordings some where on cd, so recognise the sound)

Back