What instruments are used in Dirty South / Trap beats?

D

D-Funkdafied

What effects, instruments, synths, EVERYTHING are used in Rick Ross type beats?

Like MMG UNTOUCHABLE, KING OF DIAMONDS, HUSTLIN etc

So,you are asking if someone can take the time to disect these songs and give you a list of specific instruments, synths and effects so you can create something similar? Come on man. I hate seeing posts like this. Listen to the tracks and figure it out. Nobody is going to do the work for you IMO.

So often I see people that want a paint by numbers approach to making a track. If you really want to produce instrumentals, you gotta learn how to do these things for yourself. If you just want a dope beat to rap on then go to soundcloud and download one. I'm not trying to be mean, I'm just saying, don't come on here and ask posters to do all the work.

808 drum hit samples are the most consistent thing within trap music, claps and snares for main drums with an 808 kick typically used as the main bass/sub for the track. Layering is also a good practice when working with 808 samples.

Also, brass samples are pretty common, using sample libraries like Kontakt and applying a range of plugins and fiddling around with the settings of the instruments in Kontakt will probably help you create a nice sound.

As for vocals, some typically pretty cheesy vocal chants are used which are freely downloadable if you search for them, Lil Jon, Lil Wayne and all of them types shouting hey with low pitch controls all over them.

This is trap music in general, not just Rick Ross. Don't get me wrong, there's definitely some nice synth work in trap, but that's generally what I know.

So,you are asking if someone can take the time to disect these songs and give you a list of specific instruments, synths and effects so you can create something similar? Come on man. I hate seeing posts like this. Listen to the tracks and figure it out. Nobody is going to do the work for you IMO.

So often I see people that want a paint by numbers approach to making a track. If you really want to produce instrumentals, you gotta learn how to do these things for yourself. If you just want a dope beat to rap on then go to soundcloud and download one. I'm not trying to be mean, I'm just saying, don't come on here and ask posters to do all the work.

We all need to learn somehow.

Get gladiator and nexus and start working with arps and low brass sounds, also 808s as mentioned above. Nothing too complicated about tracks like that.

Man those beats usually consist of 808 drum hits, or low octave sine waves, stacked claps and snares. Processed kicks that usually quick, snappy, and cut straight through the 808 sample. They have alot of brass, portamento synth arps/leads, rimshots, orchestral crashes, hihat sequences, drumrolls, synth drops and rises! Alot of different things. But honestly the best type of beat is your type of beat. Learn how to make these type of beats and change them up with your style my friend. MAKE GREAT MUSIC!

Man those beats usually consist of 808 drum hits, or low octave sine waves, stacked claps and snares. Processed kicks that usually quick, snappy, and cut straight through the 808 sample. They have alot of brass, portamento synth arps/leads, rimshots, orchestral crashes, hihat sequences, drumrolls, synth drops and rises! Alot of different things. But honestly the best type of beat is your type of beat. Learn how to make these type of beats and change them up with your style my friend. MAKE GREAT MUSIC!

The low octave some waves are usually made to replicate 808 kicks, by changing the ADSR envelope.

Pretty much agreed with the last part though, you need to experiment and design your own sound.

Basically there is no rule to it but yeah low octave sines waves are mainly used. I tend to sample them with a snappy kick and process it to a custom 808 sample. It's very handy when making a custom sample library. Honestly, introducing your own sounds in that genre would be better though because most producers that make trap music use the same sound libraries -_-

Back