what instrument...

D

DeeJay Anton

what is the instrument used in a number of r&b songs; its like a chime echo sort of sound. there are a lot of songs that have it such as the new musiq souldchild song "b.u.d.d.y." i would name more i dont feel like scanning through all my songs it would take too long. let me know if im being to vague in the description of the sound. someone please help me out. thank you

heres a better example:

http://www.myspace.com/luvanmusiq2007

listen to the song "Millionaire" and listen to the melody it sounds to me like a type of key chime thing its different because regular chimes are just one pitch but this one sounds like it can be made into a soundfont or played on a keyboard. anyone know what im talkin about?

Try vibes. If that doesn't get you close enough, try different types of electric pianos.

It could even be some sort of "bell" patch.

Last edited:
thanks ill look for that. where can i find vibes at? or bell patches?

some bell/chime type sounds are FM synthesis patches. Check those out too.

hypersonic, fm7 & synth1 can make some nice bell presets. i find v station better for the adventurous bell sounds

What a load of crap people have been suggesting! The 'chimes' in B.U.D.D.Y is a pretty generic EP (electic piano). Pretty much any good sound source has patches for them.

For freeware VSTs, try MrTramp or MrRay from http://www.soundfonts.it/. For commercial plugins, get them on SampleTank and so on. Any external keyboard/synth will have a few good patches if you want hardware.

On the subject of chimes, a very common metallic percussion instrument used in R&B is the 'mark tree' - it's like a row of thin bars which are gently rubbed accross and give plenty of high-frequency colour to tracks when used sparingly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone know where i can find some good electric piano VIBES at?!?!?!? i cant find any free ones can someone help me out?
edit: and on that note where can i find some good MARK TREES?!?!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back