What are Guidelines For Natural Minor and Phyrgian Phrases and Motifs ?

How do you end a phrase before you start another one. I mean Can a phrase just be a scale run or does it have to end in a cadence or what ? Its not much info on motifs and phrases out there . I need specific details for minor phrases and motifs. 2 bar and 4 bar phrases to be specific. Can a phrase start on the note the last phrase ended on, Can a phrase start in totally different key. For instance, If I have a chord progression that goes Gm - D minor. Can the phrase start in Gm and end in Dm. I have more questions but sometimes its hard to word the question exactly like you wanna say it but what I said above is a start. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanx

Doesn't have to end in a cadence.
There are no hard and fast rules: if it sounds ok, it's fine.
Generally speaking, you can run up and down the scale as much as you like, but if you jump by more than a tone, you should jump to a note that belongs to the chord that is currently playing.
Also, on the downbeat of the chord, the melody should contain a note from the chord, and when you want to finish a phrase too.
If your key is G natural minor, then you should use the G natural minor scale throughout each 2 or 4 bar phrase, even if you change chords.
I hope that makes sense... ask questions if you have any.

Last edited:
Back