What is a good book to learn how to mix?

I can't post links yet but look for
audiotutsplus.c#m
and
soundonsound.c#m

parts of them are pay for access but there's plenty of great free stuff also

The BEST book I've read was Mike Senior Mixing Secrets for the small studio.....I went to school for engineering and this book was more content than The Mixing Engineers Handbook....It gave examples and gives you a visual as well as can help your creative level when mixing cause it gives you various ways to use effects and dynamic plugins....

I can't post links yet but look for
audiotutsplus.c#m
and
soundonsound.c#m

parts of them are pay for access but there's plenty of great free stuff also

ill check it out..thanks..I read audiotuts alot...never on the second link

---------- Post added at 07:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:44 AM ----------

The BEST book I've read was Mike Senior Mixing Secrets for the small studio.....I went to school for engineering and this book was more content than The Mixing Engineers Handbook....It gave examples and gives you a visual as well as can help your creative level when mixing cause it gives you various ways to use effects and dynamic plugins....

think I've heard of this..ill check it out..thanks

He is right Mixing secrets for the small studio is BY FAR the best book on mixing available. That book has made made me alot of money lol

Everything really, from monitoring to how to approach a mix and achieve energy within the track from chorus to verse... how to start a mix level pan etc etc....how to use compression, buss compression,parallel processing,using reverb in 5 diff ways to give 5 diff types of sounds,blend,tone,depth etc....How to use distortion to give you edge and how to go about doing it on high frequencies and low frequencies...Its alot in a nutshel but it his every aspect far as mixing is concerned and is simplified enough for the average user.

Really?

I have Mixing Engineer's Handbook, it's OK but everything you find in there you can find online, just not all consolidated into one book.

For Good books on audio/Mixing just go to the focal press website. They're really all there.

Yeh mixing secrets for the small studio is PERFECT, reading it myself at the moment... I skipped the first few chapters about Spaker/Monitor explantions and reaction resanaunt frequencies or whatever... was too much technicial jargon for me.

But later in the book has been VERY useful so fr, giving tips like how to achieve a good mix by turning the volume too high on a track, then bringing it to a good level, and marking that point, and then puttin the track fader all the way down, and bringing it up to a decent point.

Then you have markers for a low good point, and a higher good point, and between these two markers, is where the sweetest point will be

And the book has tips on compression

And lots more, im stil reading however

oh and also song layout and stuff, talks about 2nd drop chrouses or something to sustain the hype in a song

pretty cool

+1 for Mixing secrets, haven't finished it yet but so far so good.

There are some free guides out there too if you want something to get your started.

This might sound like a dumb question, but how does "Mixing Secrets" read? I mean I've read books/articles on sound synthesis, music theory, production, etc. and the ones I learned from the most are the ones that were a bit more interesting and easy to access.

Back