What is going on with the organs in this song?

aceover9

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bL91scCpc6M

They start at the very beginning. How are all those different inflections and effects being done in real time? Is this a feature of organ sounds on a keyboard? Does it require an actual organ instrument? are there any keyboards out there that allow this kind of dynamic play? I'm speaking from, like, level 1 ignorance here so feel free to take it from the top. Thanks.

This is a Hammond-like organ with a Leslie-like cabinet (I'm saying "-like" because it doesn't really sound like the real thing). I guess many keyboards will have performance controls that allow for these kind of changes; on the real thing you'd be pushing those drawbars and changing the Leslie speed with a switch. I'd advise looking at some classic masters of the jazz/funk organ (look up Jimmy Smith or Dr. Lonnie Smith, for example) on Youtube to get some kind of an idea how it works. Also if you get a chance to see a real Hammond being played live, go hear it because the house-quaking power of it is hard to get on tape.

Thanks so much for the info!

Do you know of where I could start to look for an affordable keyboard with these sounds/options?

Well, if you want really affordable, there are plenty of organ emulating VSTs...even free ones, such as this GSi bundle.

On the hardware side, the Nord Electro/C2D/Stage series have maybe the best organ emulations, but they're not cheap. The older models are more affordable. Then there are some modules like the Roland VK8m, Hammond XM1, Ferrofish B4000+ etc. - but frankly I'm not sure how much they go for or how good they are.

=Yeah. I've tried aping sounds with effects and itsounds cool but it never quite gets the same feel. I mean, I don't know if I'll ever acquire a legit organ but I'm going to look into some of those options mentioned above. Thanks!

Back