What GENRE of music would you consider the most DIFFICULT to create!

E

Esthetix

Try to keep your statements unbias (not particularly based on what you listen to unless you truely consider your genre most difficult).

Try to be as specific as possible (even list sub genres).

Try to back up your statement.

Feel free to state what you feel is easiest as well.

Please do not list genres such as classical keep it geared toward daw/studio made stuff.

I seem to find R n B hard but i think this is due to the fact that i dont kno chords and i kno you dont need chords for r n b but it does help also Eastcoast and Westcoast and i think that is becuase im from the south and was broughtup with southern influences but i will master them down eventualy

I reckon Jazz can be the most difficult one and one of the easiest. Your basics for Jazz are 'only' BPM, a time signature and 12 tones. The rest is up to you. I believe Jazz can't be created, it creates itself (or not)...

As you mentioned DAW and studio based - we once recorded a Jazz joint in Cubase. Quite some time ago, that was still in XT 3.0. Since we didn't have the sounds we wanted we recorded all the keyboard stuff, the drums, a MIDI sax and even the bass (one of them MIDI-fied fretless basses) as MIDI. A precious experience...

Last edited:
I don't really think any are too hard to make. Even classical any type of Music can be daw/studio made (and alot of it is) Has to be especially if it isn't being played live infront of people.

Of course everyone isn't the same though. I was always taught to listen and study music even if i wasn't into the music. So I listen to whatever doesn't matter. If i need to create something that im not too familiar with. Normally takes me some hours

Studying the sound/arragement
remaking a few of the tracks
then diving off into my own creations.

Only becomes difficult when you try to dive in without understanding much about the style. Which is what alot of people try to do. They lack alot of technique and understanding which result in a failed Attempt. Then they get frustrated with it and just walk away from it ( not all but most)

Ohh one says jazz and another says Drum and Bass.

Shyyt.. DnB, in many aspects can indeed be very tedious (very very). Jazz on the other hand must require muuuuch more thinking in terms of designing rhythm n melody. Hmmm

Esthetix said:
Ohh one says jazz and another says Drum and Bass.

Shyyt.. DnB, in many aspects can indeed be very tedious (very very). Jazz on the other hand must require muuuuch more thinking in terms of designing rhythm n melody. Hmmm

hehe, they are hard to create in different ways.

D&B, with all the rapid fire drum choppin, its complexity is what drives the track, to me that is.

on the other hand, jazz, its simplicity and vibe will give it a unique touch, making it a good track.

oh well, in the end, i still cant produce neither!

hmm actually, I'd like to try my hand in DnB, I know nothinging though. 1 technique is to kill the lower frequencies on drums leaving plenty of room for bass. Other than for knowing that I would be lost. Intricate indeed.

i swear a thread just like this just came though.

first you have to define 'hard'. oh yea, now i remember, i made some jackass joke about whats 'haaahd!' in the last thread, haha.

theres 'hard' like, technical difficulty. like, knowledge needed to succeed. BUT, theres also hard, like hard to make a good, successful track. whether it be commercial or artistic 'success'. and of course, 'hard', like which is the banginest of all....haha.

anyway.... i think trance and d+b are maybe the most technically demanding of all. theres a lot of 'stuff' goin on in their tracks. id agree that hip hop is the easiest, or most simple, but i think its prolly the 'hardest' to be artistically succesful with. hip hop is picky, or 'clicky' you could also say... haha.

peace.

highkoo said:

first you have to define 'hard'.

Yeah, I was thinking about how I would word that when I posted this. I decided to just leave it general. I'm mostly interested in what people consider hard in terms of difficulty OVERALL

By the way. I liked your post highkoo. Very open minded reply.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are literally hundreds of different types of sub genres (especially for trance and dnb)

Just to be REAL SPECIFIC Can you name off some tracks and artists too?

hmm, for trance especially, the harder the sub genre (trance-> hard trance-> gabber/hardstyle-> hardcore) it seems like it gets less and less hard (umm, complicated/technical) to produce.

i mean in trance, epic/vocal/prog etc
there is so much going on, so many layers of hats: open/closed, ride cymbals etc, so many sub melodies (some of them you will only hear after the 20th time you listen to it), a whole lot of fx's: flangers, phasers, delays etc, a very detailed song structure: big build ups, breakdowns etc.
it takes a whole lot of time to complete 100% a trance track, and its a real b**ch to mix to!

then we get into hard trance, which is my favorite subgenre, now it gets a bit less detailed than trance.
Less sub melodies, more monotonic riffs, easy bassline programming, simple snare rolls, etc

then we get into gabber/hardstyle
which becomes even more simple! but its still "hard" to recreate a nice pro sounding track tho
gabber kicks with distorted sounds and almost no melodies at all
(most of the time).

and last but not least, we got hardcore. bah, i wont even go there! haha

bobsmitt said:
hiphop's simplicity is what makes it hard but it isn't the hardest

in one way though. the simplicity is what makes it hard, artistically. like its hard to make a beat that everyone loves, partly cuz of that simplicity. its either hot, or not. but that its that same simplicity that makes hip hop pretty easy, technically... which is weird. its at two opposite ends of the scale, depending on how you... weigh it, haha.

prince of darkness had a good point too. its the mixing and mastering that really make some of the 'hard' genres harder. mixing a hip hop instumental, and mixing a prog house track are very different...

like imagine mixing like, an old premier track, even with the vox. and then imagine mixing... like an arman van buren track... haha. im sure theres better examples, but you see what i mean. in my mind its sooo different.

peace.

Tyree D. said:
there was a thread like this last month. It differs for everybody

That's true. Ultimately, I think the hardest genre for a person to create is going to be the genre they are least familiar with, production wise.

fredriahi said:

That's true. Ultimately, I think the hardest genre for a person to create is going to be the genre they are least familiar with, production wise.

true and obvious.. but OVERALL. There's just some stuff that is simply musically AND technically more complex/difficult regardless of your knowledge of that particular genre.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tyree D. said:
there was a thread like this last month. It differs for everybody

Would you happen to know what forum that was in. If there's any detailed posts id be curious to check it out.

Back