What effect is he using!?

Eckin

Hey everyone,

one of my favorite artists, blackbear, often uses an effect on his vocal track that "modulates" his voice without changing pitch.

listening to it is much easier than describing (clean ass song):

At second 20 is the perfect example! If anyone with more experience can help me recreate this, preferably with a vst plugin. Thank you!!

Last edited by a moderator:
sounds like a variation on autotune with an lfo modulating the width of the "tune" artefacts - cubase 5.2.1 vst32 score had a stock vst that did something like this

Thank you! I'll start searching for some vsts that might be helpful. Do know of any plugins that have this option?

Thanks again!

The Weeknd has a song using the same effect. I really don't know, damn I wonder what that'd do to a pianoooooo now

Sounds like Formant Pitching. Wait until you try that on synthsounds and drum samples ;)
Don't know any great plugins that has it, more than the freeware VST Kerovee and the synth Harmor (if you insert a sample inside it).
But I bet plugins like Melodyne should have, since the similar FL stock plugin Newtone has it.

Last edited:
Sounds like Formant Pitching. Wait until you try that on synthsounds and drum samples ;)
Don't know any great plugins that has it, more than the freeware VST Kerovee and the synth Harmor (if you insert a sample inside it).
But I bet plugins like Melodyne should have, since the similar FL stock plugin Newtone has it.
There's a free and simple VST called rovee that does this. It's probably good if the OP wants to try formant shifting.

Yeah this is formant shifting, good ear!

Wow, that sounds so cool. I never heard of formant shifting before. Definitely gonna try that out on Newtone!

Back