What is double time [FL STUDIO] JJ

I think what it means is:

Take a beat you want at 80 BPM, set it to 160 BPM but fill your drums in halfway what you normally would.

That way the beat is technically 80 BPM but you have more flexibility as far as things like drum rolls.

The only thing I don't like about it is 160 BPM plays your sounds really fast so I wonder how JJ got around that?

I think what it means is:

Take a beat you want at 80 BPM, set it to 160 BPM but fill your drums in halfway what you normally would.

That way the beat is technically 80 BPM but you have more flexibility as far as things like drum rolls.

The only thing I don't like about it is 160 BPM plays your sounds really fast so I wonder how JJ got around that?

This is point three of my list - there's no real reason to do this in modern sequencers. For example, Live's note resolution goes to 1/16384th notes. While theoretically it's double that if you double the tempo, how often do you need that level of intricacy?

This is point three of my list - there's no real reason to do this in modern sequencers. For example, Live's note resolution goes to 1/16384th notes. While theoretically it's double that if you double the tempo, how often do you need that level of intricacy?

Well for Southern stuff you do, if you notice their hats and snare rolls go pretty fast against an 80 BPM or so beat.

I know you can do it in Reason, I don't think you can in FL though at least not to my knowledge.

I'm pretty sure no modern sequencer is tied to a single low note resolution. FL's piano roll surely isn't. Actually, the only scenario where I'd see this as a viable tactic would be when you're using a x0x-style drum sequencer (like Reason's ReDrum) and need more time divisions...but the actual sequencer in *every* DAW package allows for fine enough resolution not having to use double tempos. Of course, if one finds it easier to do things that way, be my guest. Usually it just seems it's because people don't know how to work their sh*t right, though :)

Exactly what I was saying, lol.

Not one music software on the market(including MTV music generator for ps one)that I've ever encountered cannot variate between 1/4 to at least 1/64. Nothing beneficial comes from doubling your actual tempo.

all the b!tching back in forth lloll and i still dont understand what the **** is dub time .. and how to do it in fl studio lol

all the b!tching back in forth lloll and i still dont understand what the **** is dub time .. and how to do it in fl studio lol
This is exactly my point who give a f@ck if u double time or if u use the piano and do it the CORRECT way?--

ur question has been answered sir and one piece of advice usually this forum isnt the place to ask simple questions. 2c

Double isnt that hard to understand. He doubles the tempo from 70 to 140 so he can do those crazy snare rolls. You can do that shxt without having to double the tempo with alt+f if you really wanted to. Theres double the amount of beats within each bar. Kinda hard to explain, kinda somethin that just makes sense.

This is exactly my point who give a f@ck if u double time or if u use the piano and do it the CORRECT way?--

ur question has been answered sir and one piece of advice usually this forum isnt the place to ask simple questions. 2c
3rd post on page 2. I explained the risks you take in using the incorrect techniques to achieve 1/32 counts in a bar rather than 1/16.

If you change the tempo, you're still getting 1/16ths in a bar, you're just getting a slower bar. If you don't know what you're doing, it can throw off your counts in other areas.

The problem is folk 'don't give a f**k" about doing anything the correct way. That attitude get's reflected throughout ones music. Why would I tell someone the wrong way to fish. He won't catch shyt. I'm better off just giving him 1 and feeding his starving azz for a day.

Now once someone understands these simple fundamentals, they can go off and make music any way they want to. BECAUSE THEY KNOW WTF THEY'RE DOING. :cheers:

Exactly what I was saying, lol.

Not one music software on the market(including MTV music generator for ps one)that I've ever encountered cannot variate between 1/4 to at least 1/64. Nothing beneficial comes from doubling your actual tempo.

Which is the point, rolls now are being done at 128 so obviously 64 isn't gonna cut it.

3rd post on page 2. I explained the risks you take in using the incorrect techniques to achieve 1/32 counts in a bar rather than 1/16.

If you change the tempo, you're still getting 1/16ths in a bar, you're just getting a slower bar. If you don't know what you're doing, it can throw off your counts in other areas.

The problem is folk 'don't give a f**k" about doing anything the correct way. That attitude get's reflected throughout ones music. Why would I tell someone the wrong way to fish. He won't catch shyt. I'm better off just giving him 1 and feeding his starving azz for a day.

Now once someone understands these simple fundamentals, they can go off and make music any way they want to. BECAUSE THEY KNOW WTF THEY'RE DOING.
Alright sir i do agree with you ,hence my last line do the research you are right i used to double time but it thru me off at some spots ( I learnt to work around that) but then when set out of FL studio and went to Cubase (which IMHO has a better piano roll) i never used that technique again (double time) i jus believe in answering questions straight forwardly i thought to myself if double time floats his boat then so be it note rez in FL isnt that simple or atleast i may have over looked that function poor kid is gonna be confused :cheers:

Which is the point, rolls now are being done at 128 so obviously 64 isn't gonna cut it.

Don't make up shyt for the sake of winning an argument.

1. I said "at least". Didn't say "always". Reason, Sonar,(and if memory serves)FL(confirmation needed on the last)all have 1/128ths quantizing/sequencing options. Pretty sure about Pro Tools as well, just never checked.

2. You post 1, I mean it, 1 commercially released song(or even one on JJs page since he's the topic) that has a bar cut into 1/128ths.

3. Even shifting tempos won't solve this problem if you wanted to achieve a 1/128th bar sequence, when most sequencers don't go up beyond a tempo of 250-500 which would be needed to get the equivalent of a 1/128 count.

Last edited:
Don't make up shyt for the sake of winning an argument.

1. I said "at least". Didn't say "always". Reason, Sonar,(and if memory serves)FL(confirmation needed on the last)all have 1/128ths quantizing/sequencing options. Pretty sure about Pro Tools as well, just never checked.

2. You post 1, I mean it, 1 commercially released song(or even one on JJs page since he's the topic) that has a bar cut into 1/128ths.

FL only let's you go to 64th notes as far as I know, and are you serious about 128th notes?

Look at almost any newer dirty south song:

128th note hat rolls in each all day.

And I'd be able to find even more if I knew Gucci Mane songs by name.

^^^Those are 32nds and 64ths, bruh. Some are placed off beat purposely, and I may be hearing some velocity shifts? So it may sound like more is being done.

The majority of the hats on BMF(before any variation comes in at certain points)are 16ths. This is the point where I revisit my last post of knowledge in this area.

---------- Post added at 01:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:08 AM ----------

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=9567424

I did this a year ago for FP member Modus's Mixtape. Techniques not that new, and it damn sure ain't 1/128ths, lol. Irony is, this song was done in FL, and I remember trying to push the snare to even faster speeds where they sounded like crap, but revisiting this file has confirmed that you can go to 128th in FL, because that would be the next step up from the 1/64ths I used in this track that didn't sound right.

In FL, it's just worded funny. Bars and Beats in Fractions, so basically you have to look at it as 4 beats in a bar, so 1/4 beat is actually 1/16(I think that's how it works, going by memory).

Last edited:
1/128th note hihats at a regular tempo of, say, 100, will sound like bees buzzing. It's insanely fast - just try it out yourself.

i use this technique only on several south tracks. to me its more a thing of workflow. i.e. you wanna make an southern type track with lots of snare rolls and complex hihat patterns it just feels better if you hear the click faster.

but in case you make a smooth southern type track i'd prefer to work with 65bpm instead of 130.

there are lots of producers that do this type of beats all the time and as you know JJ's style is dominated by complex drum patterns.

i use this technique only on several south tracks. to me its more a thing of workflow. i.e. you wanna make an southern type track with lots of snare rolls and complex hihat patterns it just feels better if you hear the click faster.

but in case you make a smooth southern type track i'd prefer to work with 65bpm instead of 130.

there are lots of producers that do this type of beats all the time and as you know JJ's style is dominated by complex drum patterns.

Thank you.

Back