What do you think of unauthorised remixes?

odinnshred

Wireless Wizard!
Do you think it should be acceptable for anyone to remix any track (as long as full credit is given to the original artist, obviously) in any genre of music? Or do you think that the remixer should wait for permission from the original artist, even if they never get the permission?

Discuss!

Are u talking about sellin the track or just doin it to put yourself out there? Because up and coming producers do remixes all the time to get there stuff out there. But if u tryin to sell it that could be a problem.

Yeah as long as whoever is remixing the track isnt making any money or royalties off of it, then i think they should be able to remix whatever track they want for promotional use. I dont think a label will mind you remixing a track as long as you dont claim it as your own or make a profit on it.

People have been doing remixes since the beginning of hiphop.
Since when did niggas have to get permission to make your shit hot?
HAHHAHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHHAHAHHAHHAHAHH!
These new breed of producers kill me with this "unauthorized remix" shit. Niggas hella dumb, shootin' themselves in the foot.

Last edited:
most labels dont care as long as you dont try to make money, the ones that get upset will ask you to remove it before they decide to take further action. ive had a few mashups and remixes removed from my pages before so i tend not to share them publicly now. also ive decided only to remix unsigned material or if i get permission from the producer directly.

I usually don't. Most Artists don't either. Its usually labels and publishing companies that don't like them.

How do you define give credit? I think producers remixing anyone's shit is credit enough honestly. Promotion for both sides.
I don't do remixes personally, and I personally don't like to hear remixed songs but to each his own...

I usually don't. Most Artists don't either. Its usually labels and publishing companies that don't like them.

Just a bit confused, do you mean you don't mind or you don't like it?

---------- Post added at 11:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:13 PM ----------

How do you define give credit? I think producers remixing anyone's shit is credit enough honestly. Promotion for both sides.
I don't do remixes personally, and I personally don't like to hear remixed songs but to each his own...

I'd immediately agree with your point of view, but you just need to look at this thing with Lord Finesse suing Mac Miller for $10,000,000 to know not everybody's a decent person.

---------- Post added at 11:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:13 PM ----------

I'd immediately agree with your point of view, but you just need to look at this thing with Lord Finesse suing Mac Miller for $10,000,000 to know not everybody's a decent person.

Lord Finesse only did that because he himself did not clear the sample used in the instrumental Mac rapped over and fearing overexposure to the original rights owners, decided to sue Mac as a preemptive measure. I'm sure Lord Finesse is expecting to settle out of court for a MUCH lesser sum and bank the money away just in case Oscar Peterson's people come calling to sue him.

Lord Finesse only did that because he himself did not clear the sample used in the instrumental Mac rapped over and fearing overexposure to the original rights owners, decided to sue Mac as a preemptive measure. I'm sure Lord Finesse is expecting to settle out of court for a MUCH lesser sum and bank the money away just in case Oscar Peterson's people come calling to sue him.

That's an interesting way to view it, especially cos Dan Bull made a song (using the same sample, but a different beat to Finesse) that basically said how wrong LF was about everything in this case, and LF had it removed from YouTube by threatening to sue Dan Bull too. There weren't any copyright issues with this one, cos Dan Bull made a different beat but just found and used the same sample, but it just shows how good LF's lawyers must be if he can manipulate people's creativity like that just cos they showed what a nasty vindictive **** he is.

That's an interesting way to view it, especially cos Dan Bull made a song (using the same sample, but a different beat to Finesse) that basically said how wrong LF was about everything in this case, and LF had it removed from YouTube by threatening to sue Dan Bull too. There weren't any copyright issues with this one, cos Dan Bull made a different beat but just found and used the same sample, but it just shows how good LF's lawyers must be if he can manipulate people's creativity like that just cos they showed what a nasty vindictive **** he is.

The thing is, as long as people keep drawing attention to LF's song, the possibility of him getting sued by Oscar Peterson's people increases, so of course it makes sense for LF to want to squash anyone drawing attention to his illegal song.
That's the crux of it, Lord Finesse didn't clear the sample and is scared as hell of getting exposed and being sued himself. Also, you don't really need lawyers to have anything removed from YT, you just have to prove (or in some cases, insinuate) that the material being used in the video infringes on your intellectual property, amongst other things. From what it seems and from what i've read and know of sample law, Lord Finesse is blowing smoke out his ass and is scared of being sued for sample stealing.

Last edited:

I don't mind it at all. But usually labels or publishing companies do and occasionally artists. Personally I think they are great, giving to other producers to continue working on your art is also great promotion.

I think if you use all original sounds that are already in your library, and you remix it.....what credit do you have to give when all of the sounds are yours??? I mean yeah, say its a remix to whatever song it is....but you cant get in trouble if everything is yours...

Just my thoughts..what do you guys think??

Sound Click Page: SoundClick artist: Star Tanner Productions - I am a beat maker/ producer. I specialize in making rap, hip hop, pop, techno, and r&b instrumentals

Official Website: Beats For Sale | Buy Beats Online | Rap Beats | Hip Hop Beats

Email: startannerproductions@gmail.com

Back