What do you label this drop as and how can you similarly make it?

Why do we have to label it?
Labelling music is futile because there's always some music that doesn't fit the trend.
I would say house music. If you asked me to be more specific, I would say probably electro house, but I could be wrong.

The synth at the drop is probably a pluck based on sawtooth waves, probably two saws detuned with either 'free' off or 'retrigger' on, depending on which synth you're using.
You want an envelope with no attack, low sustain and a little bit of decay (play with it to see what setting sounds best)
Then add some subtle reverb and maybe an echo.
There's probably a bit more to it than that, but that's the fundamentals.

Don't forget to add some white noise in the background and sidechain it to your kick.

See also the thread about making prog house plucks, there will be tips in there that apply to this.

Last edited:
Why do we have to label it?
Labelling music is futile because there's always some music that doesn't fit the trend.
I would say house music. If you asked me to be more specific, I would say probably electro house, but I could be wrong.

The synth at the drop is probably a pluck based on sawtooth waves, probably two saws detuned with either 'free' off or 'retrigger' on, depending on which synth you're using.
You want an envelope with no attack, low sustain and a little bit of decay (play with it to see what setting sounds best)
Then add some subtle reverb and maybe an echo.
There's probably a bit more to it than that, but that's the fundamentals.

Don't forget to add some white noise in the background and sidechain it to your kick.

See also the thread about making prog house plucks, there will be tips in there that apply to this.
Thanks for this. Lol, I'm quite new to synthesis, but however, I can at least make out something from what you typed so your effort isn't wasted. Will try it out when I further increase my knowledge.

Well I would like to know what type it is then it would at least help me describe sounds properly hah. Another example this drop can be Vargo by Danny Howard & Futuristic Polar Bears. Very groovy and drummy.

Off topic here, but can you enlighten me on the sounds I need to have to produce an EDM song? I know you might need a pad, a lead, bass, kicks, snares and some noise but that's just about all I know. I know there's more sounds to this than just what is stated. Thanks in advance for your kind help.

Thanks for this. Lol, I'm quite new to synthesis, but however, I can at least make out something from what you typed so your effort isn't wasted. Will try it out when I further increase my knowledge.

Well I would like to know what type it is then it would at least help me describe sounds properly hah. Another example this drop can be Vargo by Danny Howard & Futuristic Polar Bears. Very groovy and drummy.

Off topic here, but can you enlighten me on the sounds I need to have to produce an EDM song? I know you might need a pad, a lead, bass, kicks, snares and some noise but that's just about all I know. I know there's more sounds to this than just what is stated. Thanks in advance for your kind help.
You might have well have asked how to become a millionaire. Sound design is an art, and it varies hugely depending on genre, from house plucks to dnb reece bass to dubstep sirens or ambient pads and more. I'm not capable of even beginning to describe all the techniques that can be used to make a sound, or all the sounds that can be made and used in a track.
Listen to something like 'mefjus-contemporary'. It's a weird track, but really shows off some creative and unusual sound design.

There are lots of tricks you can use to apply certain characteristics to a sound (brightness, percussiveness, wobbliness, glideyness and a thousand different kinds of 'movement') and being a good sound designer is about learning how and when to use them to get the effect you want.

Learn what every control in your synth does, and watch lots of youtube tutorials for all different kinds of synths and sounds.

Generally speaking, I feel that you can have a 'lead' sound (or vocal) to provide melody,
-'bass' to provide low end weight and power to a track,
-'drums' to define the tempo and time signature clearly,
-a 'pad' (or anything else that pays chords, could be guitar, choir, brass section, orchestra: anything that can play multiple notes simultaneously) to show which kind of chords and harmonies you are using without detracting from the lead,
-'FX' which are just noises that add interest but don't contribute musically

but
-none of these are essential in a track (Your original track didn't have any pad, and the 'lead' could have actually been considered a 'drum' because it didn't play a melody with different notes, just a percussive riff),
-you don't need all of them playing all the time (obviously!)
-some sounds can fit into multiple categories (e.g. a rhodes electric piano could be considered a 'lead' or a 'pad' or both depending on how you play it)
- you can have multiple sounds in the same category for variation or other reasons (the obvious example is different drum sounds, kicks, snares, hi-hats, ride cymbals for variation and different strengths of emphasis, but you can also have two (or more!) leads for melody and counter-melody, or any number of any sound, really)

Last edited:
You might have well have asked how to become a millionaire. Sound design is an art, and it varies hugely depending on genre, from house plucks to dnb reece bass to dubstep sirens or ambient pads and more. I'm not capable of even beginning to describe all the techniques that can be used to make a sound, or all the sounds that can be made and used in a track.
Listen to something like 'mefjus-contemporary'. It's a weird track, but really shows off some creative and unusual sound design.

There are lots of tricks you can use to apply certain characteristics to a sound (brightness, percussiveness, wobbliness, glideyness and a thousand different kinds of 'movement') and being a good sound designer is about learning how and when to use them to get the effect you want.

Learn what every control in your synth does, and watch lots of youtube tutorials for all different kinds of synths and sounds.

Generally speaking, I feel that you can have a 'lead' sound (or vocal) to provide melody,
-'bass' to provide low end weight and power to a track,
-'drums' to define the tempo and time signature clearly,
-a 'pad' (or anything else that pays chords, could be guitar, choir, brass section, orchestra: anything that can play multiple notes simultaneously) to show which kind of chords and harmonies you are using without detracting from the lead,
-'FX' which are just noises that add interest but don't contribute musically

but
-none of these are essential in a track (Your original track didn't have any pad, and the 'lead' could have actually been considered a 'drum' because it didn't play a melody with different notes, just a percussive riff),
-you don't need all of them playing all the time (obviously!)
-some sounds can fit into multiple categories (e.g. a rhodes electric piano could be considered a 'lead' or a 'pad' or both depending on how you play it)
- you can have multiple sounds in the same category for variation or other reasons (the obvious example is different drum sounds, kicks, snares, hi-hats, ride cymbals for variation and different strengths of emphasis, but you can also have two (or more!) leads for melody and counter-melody, or any number of any sound, really)
Thanks for being that kind for writing this down. I'll re-read again tomorrow in more detail when I have time. Well, of course I'm not writing in to ask how to make a lead or pad or bass. I just would like to know what sounds I need to have whilst producing. I can't just make some track without even knowing what sounds to make or samples to fit into a song, if you get what I mean. Now that you stated, the possibilites seem endless and I think I might need some experimenting. Cheers though :).

Back