What do you do for crash cymbals?

odinnshred

Wireless Wizard!
I find that I have a lack of crashy, whooshy and splishy sounds in my music. In general 'cymbals' are the area that need the most work. So I'm wondering what you do to get your crash-whoosh-splishy sounds. Do you use sample packs or record the sounds yourself? Each recording would create a subtly different crash after all, so if you have a few crashes to hit then you could really get unlimited crashiness. Use EQ and FX to taste, of course.

So I'm just looking for loads of ideas and wondering what everyone does for their crashes etc.

Looking forward to your responses :D

You got it in a nutshell with the approach you mention.

I have Zildjian marching cymbals (14"), which can be used as individual crashes (I actually have them as the hi-hats in my kit).

I also have Meinl and Schalloch 12", 14" and 16" crash cymbals and a 12" china crash as well as a 12" Wuhan gong.

6" and 8" splash cymbals and a 6" celtic cross.

Hit these with brushes - steel and nylon, sticks of different weights (7A, 5B, 2B), hot rods and even a triangle beater and you get an array of sounds. THen hit them at different intensities and you begin to have a pallete of sounds akin to a pro cymbal library.

I also have a 707 and 727 drum machine as well as several good sample libraries

What I usually use is the cymbals from the samples I have then use FX and EQ, but I do few of both since I have been using software that allows the use of those (FX EQ) for a year or some.

I always just seem to rolling off a lot of the lows and cutting alot of the mids if i want to go for that splashy sound. The cymbals dont need to have a lot of body to them since i really just use them to "glue" the track together. Unless i'm making some crazy cinematic instrumental, which in that case i go for huge cymbal sounds haha

Just experiment with the eq. 9/10 times that will fix ur problem

Back