What do waveshapes refer to on synthesizers?

dizkojockey

Does anyone know what the different waveshapes actually refer to on synths - saw, square, sine, etc? I think I understand them but am unsure if my theory is correct. This is what I'm thinking - is this right:

On a typical waveform graph, the Y axis represents Amplitude, the X axis represents Time and central line bisecting the waveshape represents atmospheric pressure - above this line indicating above atmospheric pressure and below it indicating below atmospheric pressure.

Having laid out this foundation, I'm assuming the shapes themselves represent a similar thing to the ADSR parameters on a typical synth.

So for example:

A square wave would indicate an immediate rise above atmospheric pressure then an immediate fall below atmospheric pressure.

A triangle wave would indicate an immediate rise above atmospheric pressure then a steady fall to below atmospheric pressure.

A sine wave would indicate a steady rise above atmospheric pressure followed by a steady fall below atmospheric pressure.

A noise wave would indicate rapid fluctuations between above atmospheric pressure and below atmospheric pressure.

Hope this makes sense and am I on the right path here?

Thanks.

This seems correct to me:
To add to this, the frequency of a wave (in Hz) is the number of times that process you describe happens in 1 second

You are correct. BTW, I don't know if you already know it, but if you don't:

Peak volume measures the amplitude of the waveform.
RMS volume measures the "average" volume perceived by your ears.

So you can have a sound hitting 0 db on your master channel, but the perceived loudness is -6db. So in this situation you say the peak volume is 0db and the RMS volume is -6db.

Hope I've helped.

-4ngus

Back