What do u build first: drum pattern or melody?

Mr.Bytch Killa said:
Only God Knows How The Beat Will Be Contructed.....Real Talk...B.K.

Anybody else find it kinda weird seeing a dude named Mr. Bytch Killa mention god?

I usually start with the hihats and snare, then add the melody. I don't like fitting my melody's around a set chord progression. Then I add bass, then kicks, then the rest of the percussion + background instruments. But like everybody else has said it changes every time.

It depends, sometimes it's a beat, melody, even a sound might trigger me to build a track around it sometimes.

Last edited by a moderator:
I usually start with drumz, and as someone said previously, at the very least to have a metronome to make a melody. Although if I have a particular melody in mind I will start with that first but I too find a bit harder match the tempo to melody, rather than the other way around. If I make a beat and then layer melody on but want a tempo change it changes the beat too...so that's why people probably like making a melody first because that sets the pace for the beat...

I also like to make a good bass line to start with sometimes, especially if its the focus of the song's attention.....

neway just my 2 cents ;)

All depends really like everyone is saying... I find though when I start off by a chord progression or melody and I'm havnig a beatblock and trying to **** around with melodies and nothings working , ill go drums first and bass for a while and try and build off that.... I think you base your whole production around how you start off the beat really..

Unless I already have a melody I'm recording, it's ALWAYS the drums first. I put claps/snares on the 4 count, hi-hats every count, then start making a kick pattern.

With me, when I hear drums being played I can make up a melody right there because there's a certain sense of imagination that comes up when I hear drums...especially really really hard, layered drums.

If you know how to beatbox for real (not just screwing around but actually sounding like a drum machine) and can hum at the same time (it's easier than you think), trillions of melodies will come to you.

melody.. drums is usually the last thing i do to a beat

To me, the drums and the bassline are the most essential parts for my genre of music so i always start drums first, then bassline. The melody comes to me once i have the beat the way i want it.

i jus think its easier to lay sum generic drums in a simple kick-hat-snare hat-kick-hat-snare-hat pattern, jus to get the timing down. altho i suppose u cud jsu use a click track. then i build the melody/samples around that.
very rarely tho, do i keep the same drums at thend, i usually jus start wiv the first kit that i find, jus to giv the rhythm a bit.

There are no rules in making a beat. Just do you. If the drums come first, so be it or if the melody does, it doesn't matter

I always do my drum pattern first. A hot drum pattern always get me started.

yea, it really depends on the situation, i would say 70 percent of the times I play on da es, and then I get a lil melody out..or progression..then I go lay the drums down how i want, with the melody in my head, then come back and do the melody, where it fits to the drums more...but it really depends...then come in with counters and what not...extra drums...after main drums and melody...im liable to go anywhere, as far as drums to actual instruments

I agree as well it is situational. But sometimes I'll get a bangin drum pattern and then get stuck on a melody or sometimes I'll have a decent melody but then get stuck wit the drums.

The way I do it now is to tag team with my music partner. If i make what I think it's a tight drum sequence worth of building upon, i'll email him the reason track and see what he can sprinkle on it. Besides, he's more musical than I and better at coming up wit melodies and harmony. I'm just good at drums, sampling, and initial ideas having a direction of the overall flow of the song.

Beatmakers can hate if they want, but in the future I see myself more of the Diddy, Trackmasters, even Dre style producer.

Back