What chords are these triads implying?

wreckd

Was just playing a progression and can't work out what chords these triads are implying or possible keys

E G# C#

D# F# B

D F# A

C F# A

I came up with C#m, Bmaj, Bdom7, F#min....the dom7 doesn't sound as good as the rest though

any help greatly appreciated

Last edited:
You got all the chords right except the third one. That one is a F# diminished. No seven. Dominate chords are built on diminished triads though. And it looks like your playing in the key of C# minor.

Last edited:
Nah..you definantly got the chords right (minus the diminished chord you had listed as a dominate). All the chords you listed on the top are inversion of the chords you listed on the bottom. And if you wanna be specific the dominate 7th chord for that scale would be Ab dominate 7th. Ab-C-Eb-Gb. And the dominate 7th is always gonna sound a lil off compared to the other chords because of the out of out of scale note in the chord. You just gotta use the chord in the right spot in the progression for it to sound good.

Last edited:
But how do you know where to use it nice?
A lot of RnB songs have dominant 7ths, but whenever I use them they sound off.

wreckd said:
Was just playing a progression and can't work out what chords these triads are implying or possible keys

E G# C#

D# F# B

D F# A

C F# A

I came up with C#m, Bmaj, Bdom7, F#min....the dom7 doesn't sound as good as the rest though

any help greatly appreciated

They are C#m, BMaj, DMaj, F#dim, there's no dominant 7th in there. If you wanted a B7 chord, you'd play B-D#-F#-A, which is the dominant chord of the E Major scale. I can't access that file you linked for some reason, but I'd say looking at it, it's the DMaj chord that is making the progression sound 'wrong' to you.

The chords would imply C# minor ( Aeolian ) relative Maj key being E Maj where the B7 is the dominant chord. If you are using the B dominant 7th, I'd say you are most certainly implying E Major. I'd experiment with the relative minor ( C# ) for part of your track and E Major for others, esp when using cadential chords.

@ Soulboy. There's no 'out of scale' note in a dominant 7th, take the C Major scale, the dominant 7th is G7 ( G-B-D-F ) all notes are in the C scale. It sounds dissonant because of the minor 7th and is resolved by the C Major.

Last edited by a moderator:
In some scales it is out of scale, in C Minor for example, Cb is not in the scale, but still it is often used.

Delphine, to acess the file go to http://sharebee.com/b5ee4ae9 (not right click save target), then left click on one of the file sharing sites links, then follow that sites download instructions. I use sharebee because they re-distribute your file so it never gets deleted.

I put a pad playing

G# C# E (Cm)

F# B D# (bmaj)

D A D (Dmaj)

F# A C# (Fmin cos fdim just sounded intense)

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=317988

Something wierds going on in bar 3 three of the loop though

Last edited:
Dr. G said:
In some scales it is out of scale, in C Minor for example, Cb is not in the scale, but still it is often used.

It's called B-natural though, not Cb. May seem trivial, but it's important.

Dr. G said:
But how do you know where to use it nice?
A lot of RnB songs have dominant 7ths, but whenever I use them they sound off.
It mostly has to do with the chord progression. Some chords sound better when used before (or after) a Dominate 7th then others. Just experiment with different chord types and you'll see.

No_Worries said:
Delphine, to acess the file go to http://sharebee.com/b5ee4ae9 (not right click save target), then left click on one of the file sharing sites links, then follow that sites download instructions. I use sharebee because they re-distribute your file so it never gets deleted.

I put a pad playing

G# C# E (C#m)

F# B D# (bmaj)

D A F (Dmin)

F# A C# (F#min cos fdim just sounded intense)

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=317988

Something wierds going on in bar 3 three of the loop though
Fixed the chord types and names.

Back