What chords are these?

so it is a basic vii[sup]o7[/sup] to i minor progression: given the diminished 7th can be spelt as G-Bb-Db-Fb or A#-C#-E-G or C#-E-G-Bb or E-G-Bb-Db we are left with 4 possible chord i's: Abm, Bm, Dm, Fm

in this case chord i is Bm so we have

A[sup]#o7[/sup]-Bm x 3 followed by F[sup]#7(#5)[/sup]-Bm

A[sup]#o7[/sup] ~ A#-C#-E-G
Bm ~ B-D-F#
F[sup]#7(#5)[/sup] ~ F#-A#-C##-E

and yes viio7 is very close to V7 (make V7m V7b9 and they are essentially identical)

Last edited:
so it is a basic iviio7 to i minor progression: given the diminished 7th can be spelt as G-Bb-Db-Fb or A#-C#-E-G or C#-E-G-Bb or E-G-Bb-Db we are left with 4 possible chord i's: Abm, Bm, Dm, Fm

in this case chord i is Bm so we have

A[SUP]#o7[/SUP]-Bm x 3 followed by F[SUP]#7(#5)[/SUP]-Bm

A[SUP]#o7[/SUP] ~ A#-C#-E-G
Bm ~ B-D-F#
F[SUP]#7(#5)[/SUP] ~ F#-A#-C##-E

and yes viio7 is very close to V7 (make V7m V7b9 and they are essentially identical)
Thank you! do you mind telling me what "o" means in A#o7? and what iviio7 and a i minor progression is too?

Thank you! do you mind telling me what "o" means in A#o7? and what iviio7 and a i minor progression is too?

so yes the iviio7 is wrong (I've fixed it above) it should viio7

so the progression is basically the diminished 7th chord built on scale tone 7 of the harmonic minor scale followed by the minor chord built on scale tone 1 of the same scale

the "o" is what we use to indicate the diminished triad e.g. 7-2-4 in the harmonic minor, the diminished 7th is 7-2-4-b6 in the harmonic minor

12b345b67
BC#DEF#GA#

Last edited:
Could you explain what scale tones are because i'm kinda lost here lol.. and could you explain diminishes so I can fully understand these 2 concepts?

scale tones are the notes within the current key B-C#-D-E-F#-G-A#-B are tones within the scale

when we describe with Hindu-Arabic numbers we add b's or #'s in front of them to show where the note f\differs from the notes of the major scale

i.e. 1-2-b3-4-5-b6-7-8 is the harmonic minor scale

there are six basic chord types to which we can then add 6ths or 7ths or higher extensions

Major ~ 1-3-5
Minor ~ 1-b3-5
Augmented ~ 1-3-#5
Diminished ~ 1-b3-b5
Major b5 ~ 1-3-b5
Minor #5 ~ 1-b3-#5

Back