what are the chords in the beginning?

Those are not chords lol :p I dont think a chord can be formed out of two tones anyways. If you want I can tell you what two tone combination they are? it starts on D and F Sharp.

a diad is always going to be a guess as to which chord is active - it can represent 2 triads, 3 7ths, 4 9ths and even more higher order chords

however, in this case they are more than diads - I can hear 4 active tones moving between 2 chords i-V7-i ad nauseum

Bm-F#7-Bm-F#7-Bm-F#7-Bm-etc.....

Last edited:
Ya but the tones are not coming togeather in the same manner as a chord would. The diad falls upon one time then the other tone comes in. That would mean that its not just a chord its a diad that has an additive. Unless im completely wrong lol.

You are (wrong)

this is because you are focusing on only one instrument instead of everything playing - there are bass notes heard, full chords played at once and then the diads are moving around over the top.

In addition some of the confusion that may be being experienced is that the second Bm chord in the progression Bm-F#7-Bm is sometimes played over the sustained portion of the F#7 chord, which apart from clashing (think of a polychord that is B-D-F#-A#-C#-E i.e. Bm11-maj7 or better yet F#-A#-B-C#-D-E where we can see the two semitone clashes/crunches - we might name this version F#11b6) is preempting the coming of the B minor chord a beat and a half later

Last edited:
You are (wrong)

this is because you are focusing on only one instrument instead of everything playing - there are bass notes heard, full chords played at once and then the diads are moving around over the top.

In addition some of the confusion that may be being experienced is that the second Bm chord in the progression Bm-F#7-Bm is sometimes played over the sustained portion of the F#7 chord, which apart from clashing (think of a polychord that is B-D-F#-A#-C#-E i.e. Bm11-maj7 or better yet F#-A#-B-C#-D-E where we can see the two semitone clashes/crunches - we might name this version F#11b6) is preempting the coming of the B minor chord a beat and a half later

ohhh okay I understand what you are saying haha. I respect that you have all that knowledge of music theory :) not alot of people usually do haha. Did you study theory?

I have a full degree in composition which I completed in 1987; I have spent the rest of the time refining my understanding and ear, adding new concepts and revisiting old ones every month or so

thats super cool! What instrument do you play? and did you make classical compositions like fugues and stuff. Of course I think you would have to of learned counterpoint right?

I play several instruments: guitar (classical and most pop/rock techniques including two handed tapping), bass guitar and double bass, cello, saxes (soprano, alto, tenor), trumpet, trombone, euphonium, baritone horn (both are baby tubas) flute, clarisax, penny whistles (irish whistles), drum kit, timpani, orchestral percussion including glock, xylophone and marimba, latin hand percussion, viola, bodhran, keys (I started playing back in 1977 and added a few instruments every few years)

I studied fugue and counterpoint as well as writing for all the orchestral sections and studio based equipment.

Back