Westcoast Production during the 90's...

trillz

why does it seem like the production more than a decade ago is better then todays? I just can't get into rick ross or any song that has more than 3 synths in it.

I would love to learn the westcoast producers techniques.

Does anyone have any insight on how they produced rap back then?

I'm gonna pick up a motif es 6 in a couple days. I know some piano and been producing for a bit but I really want to have that westcoast style... :victory:

cheers!

Last edited:
Yep I hate the way hip hop is produced these days synthed out to the max its gay.

Alot of west coast music is repetition of chords and simplicity. Don't get too complex with it.

most west coast beats used simple kick/snare combos. also kept the highhats constant. Also the vocal mixing plays a big part. The vocals are very audible over the beat

Afree with all y'all! West coast is not gone though! Check out the new Game, or wait until Detox from Dr. Dre drops! **** goin to be bomb! West Coast still poppin, just gotta go to the right spots.

when u say westcoast,that makes it a very broad question,because nowadays when ppl mention westcoast style,they seem to only think about los angeles,its a whole world,we have the notorious north west,which is seattle oregon,northern california aka the bay - home to the mob style music,then san diego,it was various styles in the west coast spread out,

Thats is the kind of beats I am into making. I bump old school Dre and Snoop to the max. I do all kinds of genre's but my favorite is that west coast gangsta ****. I got a track for the BAY AREA on my soundclick called Bom-Bay. check it out if u want. let me know wat u think

Back